Took the plunge

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by thewestcoaster, Feb 26, 2019.

1. thewestcoaster

thewestcoaster In First Gear

Hi,
    A noobie here. Joined last October but finally took the plunge and purchased a 1965 66H which I believe is a Deluxe model. 289 with a 4 speed. I really wanted an automatic on the floor but let that one slip by years ago. ( another story) Anyways...I am now getting a little nervous as to the amount of work that will be involved in my restoration. I have some minor to medium rust issues in the floor boards, back wall etc. Nothing too bad, but I would like to mitigate before soaking a lot of money into any restoration. I see the sheet metal available for the 64/65 falcons. Who has experience with floor plan replacement and/or patching? What did you learn? How did you choose a shop or person to perform that type of sheet metal work? Costs?

Also, my front windshield rubber is looking quite old and dilapidated. Is this a high rust area? And can that be mitigated?

I suspect the cowls are shot, but did not plan on opening up that can of worms. Pardon the pun. Thanks for your help

TestDummy likes this.
  2. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I just finished the rust repair on my 71 429CJ.
    It took 6 months working off and on. Sometimes an hour and never over 4 hours a day.
    My Ranchero replacement parts were somewhat of a fit but required a lot of work to make them fit like original.
    I understand your years are like the Mustang and the replacement parts are very easy to fit.
    I bought a mig welder and a plasma cutter to go along with my other shop equipment for about $1600.00.
    If I took this to a shop it would have cost me thousands for the repairs as my cowls were shot.
    You can buy the equipment and learn to use it and save a lot of money by doing it yourself. Just work on it a piece at a time and don't think about all the rust repair you have to do and after a little time you will have it finished.
    You won't know about the windshield area until you remove the windshield. Even it the area is rusted out it isn't that hard to repair. Just take your time and it will get done.
    Can't help you with shop costs but when I retired and closed our shop a repair like mine would run between 3 and 4 thousand dollars.
    Greg

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Excellent choice, but I may be prejudiced. Although mine came to me in surprisingly good condition, the floor panels under the seat and behind had been professionally replaced (welded, not screwed or pop riveted). My windshield gasket is hard as a rock, but doesn't leak yet, and my cowl drains are still working, a good sign. If I find a crack in the gasket, I seal it with some black silicone, and plan to replace it at some point in the future when I find the right shop. Make sure to open the bed cover to assess the "smuggler's box" area for rust.

grebaba has some good suggestions about doing repairs yourself, and also check with andrewok1, who is in the process of repairing floorboards on a newer model. The bottom line is that anything on these older, simpler cars can be repaired, either by you or a professional. And when you get them all sorted out, they're WAY more entertaining than any new car. Check out my recent 16 day road trip in mine:
    http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?threads/beerbellys-reunion-road-trip-photos-part-1.24499/

4. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I haven't done that yet myself. I'll probably freak when I see all of the rust

On my way to work this morning, I was grieving that they don't use chrome bumpers on cars anymore. Tupperware with wheels.

Joseph

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Tupperwheels!

colnago likes this.
  6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When I removed the shock cover on my very first Ranchero it was demoralizing. The rust under there could have been fixed, but there's a lot of structural steel down there. I did the math and found buying another body would be a better option. The second one was fine under the cover, but the floors and bed were gone. #3 was a keeper.