Tramp's Story Begins :)

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by MaryT, Mar 18, 2007.

1. MaryT

MaryT Guest

As we all know, the engine compartment is terrible, and I (and alot of others here) were concerned about the shape of the floorboards. Well, here they are....(and of course, that piece of fuzz!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are almost perfect except for where they put that saran wrap looking stuff, and the water couldn't get out. Sanded that down and stoprusted it, so that should be fine. Even the original insulation is all perfect [​IMG] I was so happy.

I also painted his pillar pieces, his inner door trim, his dash part with the speaker...all black. The kick panels are grey to match the carpet that will eventually be installed. So he's gonna be black on the top fading to grey on the bottoms. And of course the door panels will be grey and black.

Still have no idea how to recover the seats. I might just get a seatcover for now (well, after he runs) til I figure it out.

[ March 18, 2007, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: MaryT ]

2. yep...id rather have mechanical work over body work ANY day Mary.. they built these old 70's dino's to last

3. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

WOW!! I`ve never seen floorboards in a Ranchero before!!!
    All of mine are rusted away...

4. 73ranchero

73ranchero In Third Gear

Hey Mary I will trade you floor pans. Mine is the gt light weight option with a bunch of rust holes. Whadda ya say?

5. MaryT

MaryT Guest

73..ummm....no [​IMG]

Even Lady didn't have this good of floor pans! I was actually quite impressed by Tramps [​IMG]

I should take better pics without the sun and without that darn fuzz!

[ March 20, 2007, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: MaryT ]

6. MaryT

MaryT Guest

Called the motor guy yesterday and he called me back today. I wanted to set up the install date for the engine for April 1st [​IMG] He said he will be in town this Wednesday, so I suggested that he come look and see what he's dealing with [​IMG] He didn't have a problem with it [​IMG]

So far, so good!

I still really REALLY want to take the engine out so I can clean up the engine compartment though. It desperately needs it, but I can't figure a way to do it. Maybe I'll ask him on Wednesday. Who knows, might be easier if the old gunky engine isn't in there in the first place. It's all unhooked and everything (I think....) .

7. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

8. MaryT

MaryT Guest

That much black out here in the desert sun would be like purposely inserting myself in a 400 degree oven [​IMG]

But I looove the car!

9. i like the custom grill but not the indicators..

10. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

those indicators look like the marker lights turned verticle and without the len's

11. As Is '66

Dang,I drooled all over th keyboard again!!!

12. bah, the chrome is it's greatest asset. That looks like socks on a rooster.

13. MaryT

MaryT Guest

Those front little lights really look like the fog lights that hubby has on his El. Same shape, same size, even have that bluish tint! Bet their a Walmart deal [​IMG]

14. MaryT

MaryT Guest

Tramp was trailered over to the fixit guys house today [​IMG] Went to visit (just being nosey, really) and he had the old engine out. He said it was completely seized.

Of course everything but the torque converter was disconnected already, but hey, it's a start!

I think I'll be nosey again and bring him the starter tomorrow. Forgot I had it laying on the side.

15. As Is '66

MaryT,you might just tell th guy you have th starter with you,in th truck, and "fergit" to leave it with him so you`ll have an excuse to visit again...LOL...Good luck on this journey!!!

16. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

is he replacing or rebuilding your 460 Mary?

17. MaryT

MaryT Guest

He's replacing it. He was at the auction with me and I had asked an old mechanic friend of the family to point out the 460's for me. When it came time to bid the 460 that I wanted was grouped with a bunch of other blocks, and I won the bunch at $250.

The guy who's doing my 460 (his name is Jack) wanted all those other blocks, so I traded him the blocks for a 460 out of a Tbird that was in his garage, plus $125. His dad was a mechanic and always had projects going. He's the guy with that Ram Air hood that I was posting about before.

And, his brother is installing it for $350. Will probably take him awhile because he doesn't live here in town. But that's ok [​IMG]

Brought the starter and two pulleys to him yesterday but he wasn't there yet. Got to talk to his mom again. Such a nice lady [​IMG]

Haven't heard anything back yet.

18. MaryT

MaryT Guest

Brother came over today and told me that the engine is in and he had it running :D :D :D

I need a voltage regulator, carb (of course) and a few other odds and ends, including a battery and some wiring.....

but the engine is in!!

19. As Is '66

You GO Girl !!!
    I love it when a plan comes together!!!

20. MaryT

MaryT Guest

Tramp came home today with his new but extremely dirty engine, so I have more work to do. Like cleaning and painting and wiring and....the list goes on. The engine number begins with D2VE [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's it's tag. Says 429, I think.
    [​IMG]

And I thought it was amusing how the cars were all lined up in the driveway today. Will NEVER happen again so I had to take a pic [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ April 04, 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: MaryT ]