Trans Cooler Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Aug 8, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

All,

I'm thinking of adding an aux tranny cooler to my '64 (289 engine, C4 transmission). I was talking to a friend who used to be into Mustangs, and he was saying that my overheating engine could be due to the tranny getting too hot, and simply transferring its heat forward. Any recommendations on brands, styles, mounting locations, other?

Thanks,

Joseph

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Consider going to a junk yard to compare coolers already on pickups and large vans. Look at the various sizes and possible mounting systems to see what could be fitted in front down low of your radiator. It will need a little space away from the radiator but not so far as to not get air drawn thru it by the fan. Crown Vic Interceptors have a nice combo trans and steering fluid cooler that might fit your space as do the Super Duty trucks. Plate and fin and stacked plate coolers are the most efficient compared to the swirl tube designs. That is the reason I pick OEM's if they will fit over aftermarket coolers like Hayden. B&M makes some nice ones as does Derale. A bit spendy though just another reason to search the yards. I have gotten by with completely eliminating any connection to the radiator by using the larger trans coolers and have had no problems. Watching the trans temperature gauges in my vehicles shows the trans reaches operating temperature ( 185 degrees) way before the engine is up to temperature. I suspect the manufactures are using trans heat to speed up the engine heating for the benefit of smog reasons. Satisfied that the radiator you have is already marginal as far as having much reserve cooling capacity so why not just go around the radiator for the transmission heat removal ?

3. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

HB sums it up real well. A Hayden or similar is a supplement to modern coolers. In my VW days the stock "dog house" cooler from the factory was more efficient than the typical 3 pass JC Whitney cooler in the day. The OE stuff has to meet a specific duty where the aftermarket just needs the right tubing OD to work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  4. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

That is very good to know.

Joseph

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Any cooler from a modern Ford, it'll be a job to plumb in, but as Hillbilly said, there are several designs to choose from, so make sure you snag all brackets, hoses and as much of the steel line as you can.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Like Andy said, don't walk past any newer Ford without giving it a look. There is no rhyme or reason to if any particular Ford , Lincoln, or Mercury had been ordered with a trailer tow package, Police package, or taxi/ severe duty option. Even seen Edges and Flex with serious coolers from the factory. Give the 90's Town Cars a look too, by the luck of the draw all of mine came with nice healthy plate coolers that are big enough to take care of any transmission independently of the radiator. If they are mounted where they get good air flow they do an excellent job without help from the radiator. This is confirmed by actuall trans fluid temperature gauges I added to monitor my beasts. The trucks are obvious as to why they had extra coolers, some Super Dutys came with coolers almost as large as the radiators in smallblock Falcons and Mustangs. Grab what you can make fit in front of your radiator.

colnago likes this.