Transistors are better than tubes

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by burninbush, Mar 21, 2008.

1. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

There, I've started it.

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

LOL....like diapers....it "depends" on what you're doing and what you have a taste for ..and how much aggravation you are willing to put up with...and how deep your pockets are... just speaking in Guitar amp terms... i prefer the tone of a tube amp....do i use one for gigging.... NOPE! ..too finicky..they dont travel well..and are expensive to maintain.....if i was Van Halen and had people to lug them around for me...with triple spares... DANG straight I would use them...so THERE!! :D

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

It is really a question of "power"...

It is really a question of "power". Some applications dictate the use of "tubes" (TWT, FPA, STT, Magnetron, Cyclotron, and others) over transistors just because of the amount of power you are using in the path of the signal. High end audio and high power radio, radar, and certain other applications that don't need mention here are examples.

4. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I won't argue with you in this section Mr Ohm's :D

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Some applications dictate the use of "tubes" (TWT, FPA, STT, Magnetron, Cyclotron, and others) over transistors just because of the amount of power you are using in the path of the signal.

++++++++++++++

Harummmpfh ... ==>car and home audio<==. Anyway, you left out Klystrons and electron microscopes and the MEBES mask writer with which I have some familiarity.

[those last two are vacuum tubes with an airlock, also have nothing to do with audio reproduction]

6. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

What do you suppose "and others" means?