Trying to install 2 piece Rear Main seal in '77 Chero w/351W and FMX

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Rancherestorer19, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Rancherestorer19

Rancherestorer19 In Third Gear

Autozone ordered me a 2 piece Rear Main Seal, but it does not fit it seems to be too short? Can anyone please help me find out where this goes and how it goes? It seems like it is about 1/4 inch too short.

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

When rolled in it should sit slightly proud, ditto with the part in the cap.
    I buy stuff from Autozone, but I get the correct part number first as their database is for shit when it comes to older vehicles.

3. Rancherestorer19

Well I figured out what happened. The stupid retards who ordered my parts at Autozone ordered me a Fel-Pro BS 30136 which will fit on a lot of 4.7 4.3 and 300 Engines, but they sure as hell did not order me the right part, which is a fel-pro BS 40042. %^&^$#@ Idiots. they had to special order it, it took 3 &*^% Days and I tore every ^&*(*^& thing apart, went to put it back together and had the wrong ^&**&%*^&% part. Boycott Autozone, they are total F(*&(*& idiots! I am P*(*^& I am going to take this Seal and ram it down the dumb*(&*s throat! Never going to use the bastards again! Oooooh I am Livid!

4. Rancherestorer19

I also found out why I needed a new Flywheel. Oreilly Auto Parts, got me the wrong starter, which was riding on the outside of the teeth on the flywheel and not properly engaging. The teeth on the starter and flywheel were ground down to nubs as a result and we found a little pinion bearing free cap and a lot of metal shavings inside the transmission bell housing. it was the grease cap and bearing from the starter. there was also grinding on the exterior part of the gear housing of the starter, F*&^*%&^ Idiots.. Again. Never.. Ever again!.. Never ever again!

5. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

Like ribald1, I always look up my own parts. I take the part number to the counter guy and ask him to double check my number. They always seem to come up with the same number. Saves arguments over just telling them to "give me this".

6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

Sorry but it is more your fault than theirs, All Felpro gaskets sets have descriptions and application on the package it is the installer responsibility the double check parts before installing them. You are the performing the work it is up to you to make sure the parts are correct.

7. Rancherestorer19

However.. NO.. It is absolutely not my fault. When you go to the Auto Parts store and you tell them exactly what engine, Transmission, Carb, and every bit of information about the vehicle it will be installed on, and they look it up in their computer and order you a part, don't give you any catalog or way of looking up that part.. I guess you are just supposed to trust them. Hmm.. Seems like someone's to blame here, and it is not the mechanic. They did not have it in stock. The old Gasket fell away and was so dry rotted, it might as well have not existed, and I had nothing to compare it to. These old reference numbers are not the same and cross referencing for this thing has been a non-stop pain in th... Anyway.. I have no sleep.. But I have the right part. let's just leave it at that. I am still Pissed.. but I am okay! I think the vehicle and myself will survive. I will never use these two companies again. Lesson learned. I will just order everything online from now on. That way I know for a fact the parts I am ordering are going to fit the vehicle. EVERYTHING IS STOCK! so I don't get this crap. I am done. Cross Rant over. I am going to shut my eyes for a few hours and hope I can remember what bolts go where and get it back together in time to go back to work and start another 12 10 Hour Days straight at work.

ou8jaime likes this.
  8. ribald1

When ordering on line you especially need to verify part numbers.
    With older vehicles the part numbers often have to be manually entered into databases. Errors occur and can be hard to remove. Giigle entered Montegue Ave in SanLeandro in it's database as Montegue St, now most map software, the phone company, etc... all have the wrong name. It would require so much effort to fix that it likely will never happen. Same with propagating error corrections through any large group of databases. Thanks to technology errors are all but impossible to correct.

9. Rancherestorer19

Okay. I got the right flywheel, got the right RM seal, Got the right Ujoints, everything is installed, Tranny is up. Drive shaft is not yet, but I am doing that in about 10 minutes. (short break) Tomorrow I want to drain the Transmission Torque Converter, Take the pan off, replace the filter inside it, and then change the oil and filter.

One question though. After I drain the Torque converter, do I need to refill it at the torque converter? Or can I refill it at the Dipstick? If the maintenance panel is on the bottom, it will be easy to drain, but if I have to refill it now that I have the Transmission bell housing back on and bolted to the engine, there is no way to refill it from the same drain plug hole.

Does the torque Converter fill from the transmission? or do I need to just leave it alone and not drain it. I am not going to drain it until I am sure I can refill it.

10. Rancherestorer19

I learned more about the Started situation earlier today as well I forgot to mention. The Starter they got me was for the 351M, Not the 351W. I am not really sure what the all differences are, but I know there are some big ones. Particularly with clearances on things, etc. and if you get the wrong parts, especially mechanical parts like starters and flywheels, pumps, pulleys, belts, filters, gaskets, etc. They will absolutely 100% either not work or fail catastrophically and take other things with them, So I need a way of double checking parts and reference numbers online once I get the parts as well to make absolutely 100% certain on things. What do you old timers and promechs use to cross reference, double check and triple check?

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's mostly knowing what you're working on and verifying from a few sources whether the number you have is for your rig. I have a 351W also, but the trans is a C4, and both came from a '79 Grand Marquis, so I have to be triply careful what I order based on that.

For the trans, do this: disconnect the harness connector from the coil. put 3 quarts into the trans, then crank the engine for 5 seconds, no more. put two more quarts in, crank for 5 seconds. Then hook the coil back up, fire up the engine, and add two more quarts immediately. Shift the trans from P slowly all the way through 1, then back to P, add one more quart, and wait for the t-stat to open. it should then be heated enough to top it. Drive the car a few miles, and top if necessary. Drive on freeway or highway, check level one more time, and shut down. Be sure to look under often for any leaks; correct as necessary.

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

Compare them to parts removed Get a ford master parts catalog and learn how to use it. Find a old time parts house and machine shop not a big chain franchise in your area and start using them and making friends whth the counter guys you will spend more on parts but more than likely there will be gear heads working there not cashiers. I have been dealing with the same parts guy since high school followed him thru 3 parts housed we are talking 40 years and yes he is a friend.

13. Rancherestorer19

nice! I will try to find one nearby!

14. Rancherestorer19

So here's what I have done and finished so far. My 1977 Has
    A new Starter
    New Rear Main Seal
    2 New Ujoints
    New Transmission Filter, Pan Gasket and Fluid
    New Oil Filter and Oil
    New Alternator
    New Battery
    Carburetor has been rebuilt, rejetted, Re Adjusted
    New Transmission Lines
    New Fuel Lines
    Fuel Filters
    Gas Tank Patched. (Had a Pin Hole)
    New Fuel Pump
    New MSD Box and, MSD Ignition
    Distributer
    Cap
    Rotor
    Plugs
    Plug Wires
    Timing reset
    Replaced Transmission bottom o\mount on Cross Member.
    Replaced various bolts, nuts and hardware which was old/worn/missing..
    Brake Hoses and lines
    Calipers in front
    Brake Pads in front

Done, Done, Done, and Done.

Still have a lot of work to do.

Need to install my Gear Drive
    Wheel Cylinders leak
    Park Brake needs adjusted
    Electrical under dash for Gauges and lights needs to be sorted
    Everything needs to be hooked back up to the transmission still
    Get the drive shaft up
    Possible Tail Shaft seal ( not certain, I am looking at it today before putting up the drive shaft.

She's coming along pretty nicely. I love working on her!

15. Rancherestorer19

Oh I forgot. On my list here it says, Water/heater hoses, alternator, and fan/power steering belts need changed
    AC belt is new.
    Check Rear end fluid Level, possibly drain and refill..
    Radiator, Coolant, check, Antifreeze..

16. Rancherestorer19

17. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

Biggest difference on Ford starters is the end plate that bolts to the engine. My 79 351M needed a starter and I found one on epay for a 302, cheap. All I did was swap the end plates and it's been working fine a couple years later.

18. Rancherestorer19

Hey I was told by my brother that I should not drive it on the freeway until the Ujoints are broke in about 50 Miles in Town. Then retorque the UBolts and make sure they are tight. Is this true?

19. ribald1

The U-joint nuts should be either distorted thread or nylon lock so they should not come off. It never hurts to go back and double check things after using them a bit, though. And greasing them again.
    Never heard of breaking in U-joints.

20. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Never a bad idea to recheck your work but I have never heard that about freeway driving, don't think that came in the manual for new cars.