Turn Signal - Brake Light Help Please '66 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by agolfer7, Jun 2, 2016.

1. agolfer7

agolfer7 In Second Gear

I recently replaced the turn signal switch in my 66 Ranchero. I have the turn signals working correctly, front and rear work together and indicate the correct direction, my problem is, when I turn the key switch on or to accessories, the brake lights come on. What can I do to correct this issue?

2. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

your brake lights should work without key in ignition. they're probably powered up at the ignition switch.

3. Sparkes442

Sparkes442 In Second Gear SILVER MEMBER

Your brake lights are activated by a switch that is on the brake pedal pivot. There are two wires that connect to this switch. Check out if the switch is making contact or something is amiss with the connection. As Davis said, the brake lights are independent of the ignition.

4. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Your brake lights run through the turn switch so when braking you have still have turn lights in the rear. The rear lights share the same filament turn and brake. Sounds like two wires are crossed up at the conection. Without a test light and ohm meter with a wire diagram finding will be difficult.

5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Also check harness to see if PO has wired trailer light pigtail in.I have seen bad connections cause problems.Maybe brake light switch is sticking.
    Chase it down with test light.

6. agolfer7

agolfer7 In Second Gear

The brake lights work without the ignition turned on, but when I turn the switch on the brake lights come on. The turn signal lights work correctly with the switch on. There are two wires, one is a ground I think and the other is hot with the key on. When I switch them the turn signals blink in all three turn signal positions.

7. agolfer7

agolfer7 In Second Gear

The brake lights work without the key turned on. When I turn the key on they light up and stay on.

8. agolfer7

agolfer7 In Second Gear

The switch is working, brake lights work without key turned on, just light up and stay lit.

9. agolfer7

agolfer7 In Second Gear

There is not a trailer pigtail on the vehicle and the brake light is not sticking. I am extremely perplexed with this issue and have about wore the wires and connectors out trying different things.

10. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

You are going to need a wire diagram hopefully that's not a ground wire your moving around that can cause severe problems like letting all the smoke out of your wire harness. I could also be a defective switch out of the box. One crossed wire even one at other end of car can back feed and cause lots head aches. The car is 50 years old it has most likly had some shady repairs or old age gremlins Hopefully someone has a diagram to help you out mines for a 74
    And won't help much.

11. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

So you have disconnected wires from brake light switch and tails lite up KO?If falcon has fuse block,remove fuse one at a time see if lights go out.If you have
    after market radio installed,start there.

12. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

brake light switches always have power until you "ground" the switch when you hit the brake pedal.
    your other wire may grounding as a result of turning the ignition "on" . sounds like PO wiring gone amiss.

13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Obviously, some errant circuit, controlled by the ignition is "shorted" or, better yet, "crossed" into the brake lamp circuit after the brake switch. The closest circuit to check is the turn signal, which is ignition-controlled; pull the T/S fuse. The next one would be the four-way flasher circuit. Then, if neither solve the problem, go hand-over-hand along the wiring harness in the vicinity of the brake lamp switch. IIRC, the power feed to the switch is solid green, and the output from the switch is a green/white stripe. Can someone confirm this? Anyway, the upshot is nothing should be tied in on the output wire, and when the switch is unplugged, there should not be any brake lights whether you turn the key on or not. If they still come on with the switch unplugged, the crossfeed is definitely after the switch.

14. agolfer7

agolfer7 In Second Gear

I want to thank everyone for their help and advice. I do have one last question, the turn signal switch has 2 outputs for each direction, is it critical which goes to the front and which goes to the rear?

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, the ones for the rear have to be tied to the brake lamps, otherwise your front turn lights come on when braking. Since your brake lights work when the ignition is off, I'd say that part works.

16. agolfer7

agolfer7 In Second Gear

Thanks, at least I have that correct.