two part door question-72.

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by russosborne, Sep 25, 2019.

1. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

1. My driver's door won't stay open. Thinking it must be something with the hinge. ??? Parked on a slope, the passenger door stays open no problem.

2. These doors weigh a ton and a half. Has anybody come up with a way to take them off and put them on by yourself without any fancy equipment? Thinking maybe something like a motorcycle jack? At this point with my health I doubt if I could even hold one up, much less hold it and get bolts started.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

1. There is a spring bar with a notched roller in it that should 'catch' on a pawl type thing and hold the door open. These do sieze up and wear out. Mine had seized and one 'notch' has worn much larger than the others so everytime i close the door it makes a loud 'clonk!' noise. Even if i rotate the roller round a bit by hand the 'large' notch still works its way back around and goes 'Clonk!'

2. I have been giving this some thought as i need to swap the drivers door on my c1500. I was going to use a floor transmission jack and make a large 'U' shaped jig that could be clamped to it and used to hold the door upright and steady, then you can wheel it around on the castors and adjust the height by raising or lowering the jack. I havent built this yet, but will when i come around do do the door swap.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

1) The hinges are not side-specific, so if you replace a driver's side hinge with one from a passenger door, you should be good to go.
    2)I have a replacement passenger door for Babe; it took me holding it (and not dropping it on my foot like the Town Car door I removed myself!) and him removing the bolts to get it off the rig. So when it comes time to put it back on, I'll use a cherry picker, on concrete, and two ratchet straps: one to hold by the inside of the door, and a single one on the outside bottom to get it to level out.

4. russosborne

Thanks.
    What do you guys thing of using some headless bolts to use to slip the hinge into place? Maybe one on each hinge just to give me something to hang the door on for support while I get the other bolts started.
    Russ

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

If I was going to try that i would use these instead
    https://www.mcmaster.com/91375a626

6. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

In the over 45 years I've been doing body work you do not change doors by yourself, especially the big ones like Rancheros. Always get a helper, the long term problems (back strain, hernia, etc isn't worth it. A floor jack or a stack of boards supporting the door while somebody helps shift the door around while you get the bolts started is still the best way.

7. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Can the roller be replaced? Do you know of a source for the roller? Mine has worn quite the groove, so it also goes "Clonk!" when I close the door.

Joseph

8. 5.0 Chero

9. 5.0 Chero

What I built and use for swapping doors

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. handy_andy_cv64

As I told Russ, get a better-condition passenger-side hinge assembly. As far as I've seen, those parts are not replaceable.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Nice setup there Carl ! I still use the engine hoist and straps, too lazy to do what you did.

12. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I found this hinge repair kit at www.falconparts.com. It looks like it has the stop pin, plus bushing. But I can't find any guides or instruction manuals anywhere, so I probably have to remove the hinge to repair it.

Joseph

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  13. Jimbob

Thats similar to what I had in mind. Cool

14. Jimbob

Ouch, I think I'll put up with the Clonk! For now.

15. handy_andy_cv64

Heck, Babe's doors do it. I chalk it up to what '70s cars do.

16. russosborne

Quick follow up.
    I just ordered this
    https://www.eastwood.com/e-z-rest-door-hanger.html
    Probably not worth it to most, but getting to the point where I will need to get the doors swapped soon and don't want to try to cobble something together.
    Thanks,
    Russ

colnago likes this.
  17. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

I been using a regular 2-3 ton floor jack for years.
    I took a piece of 4x4 and ripped a 1/2" wide grove down the middle about 3/4-1" deep.
    I simply put the wood with groove under bottom door lip and set jack up in middle of door.
    I even load the door by myself onto jack with the wood to put it back on and I'm 54 yrs old.
    I been doing Auto Body for 36 years and I take them off by myself all the time.
    I have got help at times to steady the door but I have done it countless times by myself.
    I sometimes just use a flat piece of 2x6 on top of floor jack.

I know some have back issues as do I,so don't do it alone as I am a Professional and have done it on weekly bases at times,but not worth hurting yourself or worse the door falls and gets damaged

18. Rods N Restos

Make sure your floor jack has removable saddle if you buy the Steck EZ Rest Door Saddle

19. Rods N Restos

A floor model transmission jack would be also a good tool for doors as the plate tilts and would assist with aligning bolt holes but I would think a motorcycle jack while door would be stable you would need to put shims between door and jack to change angle if your Ranchero isn't parked on a level surface.
    Kinda why I just use a floor jack with block of wood in center of door so I can just Tilt it slightly to align bolt holes and or jack up or go down with jack

20. handy_andy_cv64

I'm not a body man, but I have done basic body work, and I have found that hinges do cross over, and work just fine, upside down and all. Ask any of my customers that had doors and hinges replaced.