Two post Temperature Sender.

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Ol' Slo Eddie, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Ol' Slo Eddie

Ol' Slo Eddie In Third Gear

I have a '79 GT. The temp sender has TWO posts. One feeds the temp gauge and the other goes to the Climate control panel and does not allow the heater fan to come on until the coolant temp hits 155*.
    When I turn the key one, the temp gauge goes to HOT immediately. Since I just got the gauge back from
    D & M Restoration (a gauge hospital that I STRONGLY RECCOMEND) the culprit must be the sender and it is internally grounded.
    The PROBLEM...where does one find this animal. All sites show a single pin sender. I saw a dual pin somewhere but now I can't find it. HELP!!!
    Even a part number would be a great help. I can't even find that>

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Unplug the sensor then turn the key to on and watch the temp guage. No movement of the guage points to a bad sender. Dig a bit deeper, those two terminal senders were used in tons of full and mid-size Fords and Lincoln / Mercury vehicles that came with the semi-auto climate controls. Find a counter person that isn't too lazy to look in the books under the counter. Heck, talk to the oldest guy you find at NAPA, guarantee he has seen the sender you need. They are not obsolete yet so don't buy that garbage line when they try to tell you there are no more.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  3. Ol' Slo Eddie

Thanx Hillbilly (I used to be called that as a kid),
    I did those tests which led me to that conclusion. I did go to an old parts store and they looked in a couple of books and did not come up with anything. I think I'll try the local Ford dealer.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The Ford dealer won't help. BUT, try Green Sales Co., in Ohio. They deal in obsolete Ford parts, and will assist you in figuring out the actual part number, then tell you if they have it in stock or not.

www.greensalescompany.com

5. handy_andy_cv64

And, it seems to me, I had one of those senders, but if I did and have it now, I haven't laid eyes on it in a while. IIRC, it came off Babe's engine (donor was a '79 Grand Marquis), so I'll take a look in my jug of sensors and senders.

6. Ol' Slo Eddie

Thanx Andy. I looked at Green's site but I could not pull anything up. You have to have a part number as the simple description turned up nothing. I will call them 1st thing Monday.
    It would be great if you had one, but how would we know if it was any good?

7. Hillbilly

Boys, if all else fails look in the unlikely places. Seems Advance Auto Parts has it listed as a "Carquest" Part Number WTA1625. Engine coolant temperature switch for around $ 15.99. Go figgure ?

8. Ol' Slo Eddie

I just went to that website and punched in the number. The pic looks right but the threrad looks small. The website says it does NOT fit my car but an adapter would probably do the trick.
    THANX

9. Hillbilly

That switch has been around since being used in full size Fords as a "Hot and Cold" light trigger in 1965. It morphed into being able to control a guage needle as well as heater delay relays in the late 60's. Physical thread sizes varied from fitting small blocks on up thru FE's then the fat boys like used in 429 / 460 engines. I remember some aftermarket versions including adapter fittings with the sender switch.

10. Ol' Slo Eddie

THANK YOU! I'll run it all down Monday morning. My poor Ranchero is just gonna have to wait for football.

11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Petey have you seen a late 70s ford that has automatic climate control with a gauge all the sending units for dual posts I can find are for a light

12. handy_andy_cv64

Eddie, I checked my stock jug, and I must've either not put it in there, or I tossed it. Hopefully, Advance's hold on CQ will yield the proper sender.

13. Hillbilly

Carl, 77-78-79 Thunderbird and Cougar having the guage and tach instrument panel with the semi-auto climate control. 1975 and back Town Cars. The Crown Vics and Mercury Marquis thru 1978 used the one that only turned on a "HOT" light. ?????? Two part numbers, one for a guage, one for a light. Beginning to despise computer parts inventorys and the resulting lazy counter people.

14. handy_andy_cv64

It's what happens when corporations get involved. They cut payroll to the bone, and the only ones who work the counters anymore are LCDs.

15. Ol' Slo Eddie

I found the part number C5Az-10884-B at Dennis Carpenter. A friend there said he found another one with a designation of I believe D1OZ that is NOS and he will send it to me. I hope it is not for a 'light".

16. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

D4OZ-10884-A, Motorcraft SW-1222

Hit Google with the PN, lots of sources have it.

Temp Sensor.jpg

17. Ol' Slo Eddie

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you. You must have a Ford Parts book. I have the 'Green Bible' and the '49-59' set but nothing later. I have an old friend at Dennis Carpenter's looking one up, but I haven't heard from him in a couple of days. I'll have to give him a holler before I step up for a different one.
    Thanks again for the info.