two questions......... please help.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Dan the ranchero man, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:33 PM.

1. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I know this is totally not ranchero (or even ford) related. But I am trying to helps some friends out.

1) Would changing the thermostat on a 2014 honda (1.8 L engine) from a 170 to a 180 affect the cars warranty? She has taken the car to the dealer and they say everything is working fine. but anything below 25 degrees F outside and she has almost no heat (measured with a thermometer 60 degrees at the vent with car fully warmed up and heat on high)
    2) Another friend is looking for a split type outer front CV boot for a 1999-Infinity I 30/Nissan Maxima. I can only find the solid type. can anyone help here?

Thanks in advance, Dan

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

1) 2014 Honda's had a 60K, 5 year warranty, so that is about over anyway. Is her cabin filter plugged up?
    2) Don't they have universal split ones?

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

1) small cars, no matter the size of t-stat, never get any heat inside. So, take a piece of cardboard wide enough to cover the bottom, about 1/4 of the way up the radiator, and two strings taped to each top corner for removing. The blocking helps prevent shedding too much heat. I had a '91 Pontiac LeMans that had the same problem, and that was how I took care of it.

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I like TestDummy's idea about the cabin filter, although I can attest to Hondas taking a while to heat. Our 2017 Fit takes much longer to heat vs. our old 2001 Focus ZX3- that sucker would have you sweating in no time. I miss that car; a very entertaining ride, but after 250K, it was getting too costly to own.

5. Dan the ranchero man

Her car has had pretty much no heat since it was new. Her husband's is the same thing 2015 and no real heat. But the stock T stat is a 170. Thought if I went up to a 180 that would help. But she is worried about her warranty. her car has only 30K on the clock On the CV boots the guy that owns those can only seem to find the solid. He tried the universal and can't make it fit right.

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Now that you mention it, I remember that my wife complained about no heat as she was driving it home from the dealer in January (as I followed her). It turned out to be something disconnected behind the heater knob in the dash.

7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

So... why doesn't she take it to the dealer to fix the "poor heat" under warranty?

Basstrix and TestDummy like this.
  8. Dan the ranchero man

She has and the dealer tells her the heat is working "within factory spec" and should not expect it to ever be hot because that is not how it was designed. Keep in mind that is what they told her that would not have flown well with me and I would have asked to "see that spec" but it's not my car. I am just trying help her be warm and not have to scrape her windows while driving to work because the heat does not get warm enough to melt the ice on the windows.

9. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

According to what I just saw on the google, 2014 Honda w/1.8 should have a 180 degree high flow thermostat. No reason at all it shouldn't have that or even a 195 if that's what it takes to make heat. Andy's idea works, too.

10. 72GTVA

I'm glad you are trying to help, and appreciate that you are doing it. I wonder at Beerbelly's post above mine that something is disconnected in the heater control. At engine temperatures either 170 or 180 she should be able to about roast herself out, even in the worst Chicagoland Ice Storm (been there, done that (blizzard of '79 at Great Lakes)). I'd change the thermostat as you are thinking against the possibility that it is stuck open or not functional. But I think I'd also look at the controls, or take it to a different dealer and talk directly to the new dealer service manager. I'd bet there is NOT a chronic issue with those cars not being able to heat. Better hurry before the time component of the warranty runs out.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Got a friend with a 2014 Civic that had nearly no heat. After getting the run around from two dealers he took it to a local shop and now has excellent heat. They put in a 195 thermostat with little change then back flushed the heater core. Big wad of junk blew out of the core, looked like wet cardboard. Heat works fine now. Might be like the Buick wagons Dan. They need back flushed now and then too.

12. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks both Dan and hillbilly. I am going to talk to her at work tomorrow and see if I can get her car for a couple of days and will try to back flush the heater core and for kicks and giggles replace the Tstat with a new 180. Will keep ya all posted .

13. 72GTVA

14. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I agree that it should be taken up with the manufacturer ,since there is a record of complaints written down at the dealer about it so the next step is make a phone call to corporate office and start getting firm on the problem.
    Let the manufacturer escalate the issue to an area rep. and start talking about "if there is a accident for poor visibility then what".Mention lawyer
    Also could be a sensor is not performing as designed, or the mixing blend door out of spec. Most of these units now are electronic sensor controlled.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 3:18 PM
  15. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I would certainly want to know what the dealer has measured, in terms of heater air temp, and also what Honda's spec is. You can measure that yourself when you get ahold of the car. I can tell you this...I've been around enough menopausal women to know that it can be ball-roasting hot and they are still "freezing to death".

Edit: You did mention that it won't melt the frost off the windshield, so that's telling that there really is an issue.

16. Dan the ranchero man

I agree and I have measured the air temp at the dash vents on a 20 degree day (this is when the car was brand new in 2014) and she had only 45 degrees on that day. I measured it on another day same thing 20ish degrees outside and I did get a wopping 60 degrees. but once the car was rolling it dropped off to about 45. I keep telling her not to live with it like this and demand that someone check this car out in the "OUTSIDE AIR" not in the warm shop (which is what they did). She knows there pulling one over on her but they will not budge on their explanation that the car is fine. If she wants to I would go to the dealer with her and get it done. My wife and I had this happen on our roadmaster when it was new and I made that mechanic go outside in the very cold (teens that day) temps and check the car. It did not do so well like it did in the warm shop and they now at least tried some things to fix it (I ended up removing a line restrictor and the car went from blowing 50 degrees of heat to 145 degrees and has worked ever since) But the Honda dealer doesn't want to do anything for her unless they see a code pop up. My wife told I should talk her into letting me take the car in and see if there tune changes any. otherwise I would try the reverse heater core flush and a new 180 T stat.

17. 72GTVA

18. Dan the ranchero man

Thank you this will be very helpful!

19. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There is one other item that, pardon my pun, I'm not elliciting laughs, but that it really frosts me, is that the HVAC engineers think that defrost setting REQUIRES outside air, to the exclusion of recirculated air, which would allow air to gain a bit more caloric heat while attempting to defrost windows. Understandably, you don't want 145* heat hitting a 20* windshield immediately, but in a car that develops so little temperature in the first place, that small measure could mean the difference between 20* air and 35* air hitting the windshield immediately, especially on a hard frost morning. As for getting more heat into the cabin after starting driving, I still think a small block through the radiator would help, as it helped me in my Le Mans that one winter.

20. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I think they do it to get dry air on the windshield, rather than for temp reasons.

Joseph