Ultra rare, one of one built 1974 Ford Ranchero

Discussion in 'Rancheros For Sale' started by Nick, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

That is what I said earlier. A 10 K car "maybe"

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oh, I missed it. But do you think my points are valid? And this rig's near me...going to 'kick the tires' has crossed my mind....

3. Nick

Nick In First Gear

Thanks for the input everybody, much appreciated!

Black Cloud and ForistellFord like this.
  4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That's a response I did not expect, considering that it looks like we are all running your Chero to the ground!

I said before, I think it's awesome, one of my favorite years 100%, and I would love it. But you wouldn't sell it for what I could offer...

Black Cloud likes this.
  5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

All these experts on Ranchero vehicles hereabouts seem to rip posters to shreds... like the GEICO ads, it's what they do.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Nick, this isn't a dig at you. You have to consider what the real world costs of restoring that Ranchero will total up to be even if you start with one with good bones. Most all of us here have already gone thru the eye opening task of restoring a vehicle and can testify about how our initial guestimate fell way short of the real world money needed before the job was completed. Even if you can do most of the work yourself you need considerable bank to buy the needed materials. Having done this before gives the members here a critical eye that let's them spot flaws the other folks miss, and those flaws needing attention aren't cheap to cure. Even if those flaws had already been remedied, you still have to contend with the fact that Rancheros have not yet reached the desirability level of Chevelles or ElCaminos. You have a nice starting point vehicle but when you tack on the additional $20 Grand needed to make it presentable you hit the wall because nearly identical Rancheros that are already restored bring less than $20 large. See the problem ? A Marti report is mostly a feel good measure for the owner as nearly every vehicle can be considered a one of one. Reality sucks, that Ranchero in it's present condition probably will only bring in the neighborhood of $7,500 to a buyer who just has to have that one.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

If I could like that twice I would, thanks Hillbilly. I think that covered it. Anyway welcome in Nick, it may sometimes be harsh but it will be honest and helpful.

8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You should be proud of us. We are all about "Keepin' it real!"

ForistellFord likes this.
  9. ForistellFord

Knowing the market like we do, I would be very surprised if it did bring $7.5k. It's a nice example but it's clearly a driver condition vehicle with a lot of unknowns... how road ready is it at present? And of course, the biggest factor is the year. The 73 and up models just haven't come around in the collector market at all yet. I dig the hell out of that 460, and it would be a good twin to my 96 460 van, but I couldn't approach $7500, more likely half. It has not had a recent restoration which clearly means it needs $1k or refreshing just to get it confidently on the road as a driver in the current state... full tune up, full fluid change, possible gas tank replacement, tires, calipers.wheel cylinders, etc. *Oh, and that tailgate damage is a big problem for a high dollar ask too.

I hate that you came here thinking you had a trophy, but realize you have just another car, value-wise. It's a beauty I would be proud to own, but I could only wish it was worth anything of value.

If it doesn't cost anything, I would toss it up on eBay with a high reserve and see what kind of bids you get. You could then see that we aren't just giving you a hard time for fun.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Hillbilly likes this.
  10. Hillbilly

Missed one huge point for me John, that rebuilt engine. What was done inside it ? Who did the work ? How long ago and are there any records of the work or any surviving people who can confirm what was done ? Real rebuild or a wash and paint ? It could be a cherry on the pie or it could be a ticking time bomb that will cost many denero to make right.

11. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

How many dinero? If it's around 300,000 peso, it'd be a ripoff.

So, what's our estimated value of this thing? $10K if it runs and drives like new? $7.5K if it runs and drives okay? $4K if it needs work?

12. Hillbilly

Not gonna' convert that to dollars, know that a full engine build done correctly can hit the budget for $4K + in my area. Still don't know what was hidden under the paint job. Ball joints? Bushings ? Body mount rubbers ? You know the routine, you have been there. Get one part nice then the surroundings start looking shabby, fix that area then realize it's gonna' snowball into a full restoration or resto-mod. Beer and Ramen noodles time instead fine whiskey and steaks until you get the work done. How much is a nice paint job going for now days ? I ask because of what a friend was quoted to paint his 50 three window Chevy pickup. Already has the running gear detailed, new wiring, interior, etc. It is not a rust pile and needs no body work save for paint prep and painting. Three local trusted shops quoted $20K to paint that truck. What's up with that price jump ? Dad and I were able to do a full paint and some metal work for around $5K two years ago, what happened ?

Kiwirancher and ForistellFord like this.
  13. ForistellFord

That's because you and Dad did it, man.

14. Dan the ranchero man

Your area has caught up with the rest of the country. It has been 20K paints jobs here for over 20 yrs now. To get an 8K paint job means you cut corners or you know someone in the field that does it on the side.

15. Hillbilly

Guess I lived a sheltered life. Is it the materials or labor or both ?

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Neither, they have been gouging the insurance companies for so long that they don't have to do competitive prices to Joe public.

17. Dan the ranchero man

both

18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

And let's not forget government and environmental regulations.

Black Cloud likes this.
  19. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Why would you put that secondary fuel tank in there?
    Gross.

20. Hillbilly

Agree with that Kellen, still, the previous owner had to have discovered a 460 quirk in that " It could pass anything on the road except a gas station " - - Six to nine miles per gallon if you had a heavy foot. Folks back then ordered a 460 for the ability to burn up miles quickly, that owner tired of having to stop every 100 miles to re-fuel his hungry beast. Did you know that big LTD's and Galaxie's up thru the 1978 year with a 460 could have been ordered with an auxiliary fuel tank in the trunk from the factory ? It set on the hump in the trunk over the rear axel and filled thru the original pipe located in the rear fender under the trap door. Gas guage would stay on full seemingly forever until you started using fuel from the 20 gallon main tank. You could really make a passenger squirm if you made them wait until the next fill-up.

Basstrix likes this.