Un-restored 100K mile '64 AC Cobra at PIR

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:50 AM.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've posted this before, but maybe some haven't seen it yet. This is an original Cobra that gets driven to every show; the guy's owned it since his college days. He had the leather seats reupholstered in clear vinyl to preserve them, and has a set of used chains in the trunk "for snowy NW weather".

IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2099.JPG IMG_2101.JPG

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hilarious. There's also a 64 that shows up at shows around here that is similar, although it was painted back in the late 70's. It was raced, hence the additional windscreen lugs and roll bar.

IMG_20190901_105131 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_20190901_105104 (1024x768).jpg

HuevosRanchero, colnago and beerbelly like this.
  3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Great photos! Thanks, both of you, for posting! I love it when these old girls are driven and enjoyed for what they are … cars! I do enjoy seeing the restored classics at the car shows, with the fresh paint jobs and shiny chrome, but if the owners only take them out of the garage on show day, it kind of loses me. A different enjoyment for their owners, no doubt, but I do love to see them driven. Just my two cents.

Joseph

4. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I agree. Saw one 289 at a local Saturday nite car show, original, looked pretty ratty, driven a lot. Owner smiled a lot.

Saw a pristine 427 at another more formal car show. Looked like never driven, owner smiled not at all.

Hillbilly, colnago and beerbelly like this.
  5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Moral, only happy people drive their classics, it's the guys that that take a swig of pepto bismol every time someone breathes on their car that are the frowners.

Hillbilly and colnago like this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And, the guy who owns the car featured by Beerbelly, I bet he buys a new set of chains every year, because inspecting chains in the Fall's an additional headache, and if a chain came apart, cable or link, it will thrash the dogcrap out of that aluminum body with only a few swipes, let alone all the swipes it gets when you are trying to pull over without spinning out or sliding into something unmoveable.

colnago likes this.
  7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Doing a hard smoking burnout launch is why I put a 46o in the Ranchero.

8. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I'm sure it would be a thrill to cruise around in that roadster during a cool CA road trip. But ... I'm ruined, modern safety features along with aged bones that take forever to heal -- the risk would be nagging at me for the whole trip. Gotta say, I like having airbags.

colnago likes this.
  9. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

When I got my '64, it didn't even have seat belts!

Joseph

10. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, I had similar results here, even went to some trouble to hide them on cars that came with belts. One day I was driving a nearly new sedan, with my 2-year old kid asleep on the front seat, sitting at a stop sign. Along came a car that squarely ran into the back of the car, and the young daughter went flying toward the dash and bent a radio knob as it caught here directly between the eyes. No real damage done, but I began to use the damn belts. Good driving won't always protect you.

colnago likes this.
  11. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

That's definitely right on the money. As often as not, it's the other guy. I always try to remember that the car itself is just sheet metal, and sheet metal can always be replaced. The occupants never can, though. I hope you and your daughter were okay.

Joseph