Upper and lower control arms

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ran Man, Nov 24, 2021 at 9:50 PM.

1. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

My 72 needs upper and lower control arms replaced and my shop is having a hard time finding them. Does anyone have a source for replacements?

2. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

When I did mine I just replaced the bushings and ball joints, sandblasted, painted the original arms. Are yours rusted out or damaged in some way. I think the only thing available for the metal arms themselves is used. There are some tubular upper arms available. $$$ https://www.littleshopmfg.com/caster-adding-upper-control-arms-for-ford-cars/ But you still need ball joints and bushings. Also beware the build date of the vehicle. Ford changed the cross shaft on 3-15-73 and went to a longer shaft. Upper bushings are different between the two versions

3. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

Mine are not damaged i dont believe i think the mechanic just wanted to put the whole assembly on and not deal with replacing ball joints and bushings. Are they hard to replace?

4. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

Not too bad. Ball joints come from the factory riveted. You will need to grind the head off the rivet and then punch them out. Replacements bolt in. If you go the stock rubber bushing route you press out the old ones and press in new ones. If you go the polyurethane route you will need to reuse the outer shells. The easiest way that I have found to do this is to use a torch to burn out the old rubber bushings then press the urethane bushing into the old shells. Make sure to support the upper are when pressing so you don’t bend it.

Buds 67 and The Wrench like this.
  5. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I rebuilt the front upper and lower control arms on my 78 years ago, doing it all myself as Tony described above. Had to purchase a bushing press kit, which I later sold for a slight profit!

The bushings and ball joints are readily available from a variety of sources. It sounds like your shop is not capable or willing to do this job.

You can do all the work yourself, or you could make arrangements with a machine shop to rebuild the arms with your parts. Remove the arms intact and drop them off with new bushings and ball joints. You can then reinstall the rebuilt arms and head to the alignment shop.

6. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Very easy to replace the control arm bushings with polyurethane bushings such as those from Energy Suspension (once the control arms are removed). I found a big improvement in handling with the Energy Suspension bushings as well after doing both the front and rear bushings.

The poly bushings slide into the original bushing shells. No need to press them out of the control arms. I simply heat the control arm ends in hot charcoal briquets which burns out the rubber bushings. Then clean up the mess and slide in the poly bushings.

The ball joints are a simple bolt in. Use quality replacements such as Moog.

7. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

Thank you for the information

8. Ran Man

Ran Man In Third Gear

How can i tell if my ranchero was made before or after March of 72?

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Your driver's door sticker will list month and year of manufacture.