Useless lever on transmission C4? 1969

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Logiko, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

Hello,

while I tried to replace the steering cylinder, I had a look on the transmission.
    I have to adjust it anyway as the shift indicator is a little bit out of scale.
    There is some kind of a lever above the shifter. (I attached a picture.) I can move this lonely lever.
    It is not connected to anything.

Does it have a purpose?
    Should it be connected to something?
    Thanks.
    Petr

Attached Files:

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Looks like the transmission kick-down lever. There is a long, bent rod that goes up to the carburetor, the design is when you push the pedal to the floor it will force the transmission to down-shift to a lower gear (frequently called the "passing gear"). Many people remove the rod as for most daily driving it really doesn't get used very much and some find the forced downshift a little bothersome.

3. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

Ah, OK. Thanks. :)

4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Don't freak out too much about it. My C4 kick-down lever has never been hooked up, and never missed. It's just a daily driver, and I never punch the throttle, but I personally have never felt a NEED for it. YMMV.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Mine either, but it actually does have a use other than putting the automatic into passing gear; but finding the correct one, then correctly adjusting the factory linkage on the carb to make it work right, is a hard chore. Does your engine have a carburetor with the Ford kickdown lever on the throttle lever?

Dyno likes this.
  6. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

Drove my 79 for years without one. Finally picked one up a few years ago.

7. colnago

What other purpose does it serve? Inquiring minds want to know.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

delays shift according to throttle position

colnago, pmrphil and Hillbilly like this.
  9. colnago

I didn't know that! I wonder if that's why I sometimes get delayed shifts on my C6 in the '67 (which doesn't have a kick-down rod attached, either, so the lever just does whatever it is that levers do when they're not tied down).

10. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

.. hm... sorry, I don't know. How does it look like? I can make some pictures, too.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Pictures would help, front and driver's side are the best angles.

If the rod isn't there, your shifts underlie acceleration will be early, but say, climbing a hill in D, they'll be delayed, waiting for the governor to cause the upshift.

12. colnago

Sometimes, first thing in the morning, the 1 - 2 shift comes in really late. I mean, 3,000RPM late. After that, it works fine. I need to check the fluid level. It's almost like the torque converter is filling up, so it starves the valve body until something decides to release. Once it releases, everything's good to go for the rest of the day.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Actually, low fluid would simply prevent the torque converter from working at all. I think you have a sticky valve when cold. I'd pull the valve body and clean all of the pistons and bores, but make damned sure you don't accidentally lose any check balls when you drop it out.

14. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

OK, will do so on friday. Thanks so far

15. handy_andy_cv64

Bitte schön. Never hesitate to ask any questions if you are in doubt, or, in this case, you find something you just don't know.

16. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

Here are the pictures. I can remove the air filter if necessary.

Attached Files:

17. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

See annotated picture below for location of kick down rod to carburetor attaching point:

Kickdown.jpg

Logiko likes this.
  18. handy_andy_cv64

Yes, that is a Motorcraft Holley 2150 carburetor, stock for your engine. So all you need is a lever for the engine and transmission you have. They are specific; a lever for a 351M/FMX combination will not fit a 302/C4 combination.

Logiko likes this.
  19. Logiko

Logiko In First Gear

Is it easy for a noob to unmount the carburetor and all the stuff around? I would like to clean the area a little bit, maybe replace some stuff like ignition cables, some hoses. (OK, this I can do anyway, without touching the carburetor.)
    Or is it better to "never touch a runnig system"?

Because it is runnig. Even if the carburetor runs a little bit too "fat", I assume.
    This we call it in germany. It seems that it is adjustet to use too much fuel. And I would say it runs too high in idle. But have no way to measure it, though.

20. handy_andy_cv64

Here in America, it's "rich," which is how these cars ran anyway. If you want to know how well the engine runs, mark each ignition wire (numbered 1-4 on the passenger side, 5-8 on the driver's side) then pull the plugs and look at the color of the schmutz on the electrodes.

PSX_20191208_113606.jpg PSX_20191208_113645.jpg PSX_20191208_113808.jpg PSX_20191208_113835.jpg PSX_20191208_113925.jpg