Useless Trivia Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ForistellFord, Feb 15, 2018.

1. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

In an earlier post, you said in zero gravity the ship would be floating ON the water and that if it got a hole it in, it would sink into the water. That implies that there is something keeping the ship from becoming engulfed by the glob of water. That doesn't seem consistent with this post.[/QUOTE]
    You changed one word in relating what I said. You changed IF to WOULD.
    That is not a fair form of argument as it makes my scenario false, then after changing it so it is false, you debunk it.
    I brought it up as a thought experiment related to surface tension.

2. ribald1

I love going outside the bay to kill fish. That is where the ones that put up a food fight are.
    Don't know if I would head out in anything under 25' though. Some of those waves can be a challenge until you get out to deeper water. I have seen 20+ footers breaking on top just outside the Golden Gate. You need good pumps to get through them unless you have a sealed cabin.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

So if a Ranchero was sealed tight, would it float or sink??? Could I put paddle tires on the back and cruise my favorite lakes with it??? I mean, this IS after all a Ranchero site...

1965 Ranchero 66G and TestDummy like this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

In zero gravity everything would float. Science isn't easy to grasp, for way too many.

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Don't know about a Ranchero but back in the day Cubans preferred 1960 Buicks converted to sea duty.

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I have seen pics of your 65, leave it on land, nice ride.

handy_andy_cv64 likes this.
  7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

No, I don't. The Naval architects who designed RMS Titanic and Brittanic were very shortsighted. They figured that any hull breach would be vertical (ship's prow ramming), not horizontal, which ended up breaching several watertight compartments. The damage to the hull was extensive because the steel used in Titanic's construction was lousy with sulfur contamination; in the cold, instead of only bending inward, keeping the hull breach gash smaller, the hull plates snapped and shattered in the very frigid water (since the breach was all underwater, the entirety of the breach admitted water). The ship's rudder was entirely too small for the length and displacement of the ship, so even if the berg had been spotted in twilight instead of the dead of night, it couldn't steer fast enough to avoid the underwater part of the berg. And finally, for passenger convenience and comfort, no watertight compartmentalizing had been designed in above the machinery spaces, so as the water rose in each breached space, it flowed over to the adjoining spaces, causing Titanic to slowly founder. This fact is the evidence that bouyancy loss sinks a ship--not its mass, nor its reaction to gravity. If the water had been held in only those compartments that were breached, Titanic likely would not have gone down despite the other three circumstances already cited.

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Jeez, how did this devolve to zero-G? It can be true, though, that if void spaces are filled with displacing material such as foam, it should prevent the intrusion of water into that space. One of the cars featured on Monster Garage was a VW New Beetle converted to an airboat, and it barely stayed afloat by the use of two-part Expand-O-Foam applied where it could be put, thereby keeping the Beetle from sinking nose-first.

9. ribald1

Metal gets brittle when cold alright.
    When I did electrical work in the Dryers Ice Cream fast freezers I broke tools by hand that you couldn't break with a sledge hammer at normal temps.

10. TestDummy

Buoyancy wouldn't exist without gravity. So there.

Basstrix and ForistellFord like this.
  11. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive

Y'all are taking useless trivia to new lows. Gravity and silly bickering are working together to sink this ship in a big hurry.

12. ribald1

I doubt you can save the guy from himself.

13. ForistellFord

Determining door swing...

First, the SIMPLE WAY to determine door handing... IF YOU ARE REPLACING AN EXISTING DOOR: With the door open, stand with your back against the hinge jamb. If your left hand is nearer the doorknob, then the door is LEFT-HANDED. If your right hand is nearer the doorknob, then the door is RIGHT-HANDED.

14. Hillbilly

That factoid sounds like the voice of experience. How many did you order wrong before you caught it ?

15. ForistellFord

None at all! It's elementary, that's why it's useless trivia.

16. Hillbilly

It ain't useless for someone who never encountered the difference. Glad you can do carpenter work on good instinct, eh ?

ForistellFord likes this.
  17. ForistellFord

Saves me a lot of money for sure.

18. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Now that is Cold!!

19. TestDummy

Only crap metal will exhibit loss of strength and breakage at temperatures around zero F. And I mean low-grade cast garbage. The cheapest OEM (no mention of name, but it rhymes with Mysler) test all their cast suspension components to -40°, which is considered 'Arctic Compliant'.

-40°F = -40°C

20. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I'm not sure what you're talking about now...I'm referring to this...copied right from your post:
    upload_2018-3-13_12-58-35.png

Please clarify where I changed your post? I certainly didn't do so intentionally. What is copied above clearly implies that this ship won't "sink" into water in zero gravity unless it has a hole in it. This, in turn, implies that there is a non-zero net-force created by the difference in density between the solid body and the water...so is that what you're saying...that there is a non-zero net force due to buoyancy (in the absence of gravity, of course)?