Valve Cover Removal

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by parts4me, Feb 10, 2015.

1. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

So I am getting the chero ready for the spring months and want to replace the leaky valve cover gaskets. The valve covers I have on them now are aftermarket aluminum ones. I went to remove them and they are stuck like no other, and I am scared to pry on the valve covers themselves as they are aluminum. I tried to let them warm up to see if the gaskets would expand and become easier to work with but it did nothing. I don't remember what kind of gaskets I put on when I put these new covers on, as in rubber or cork. Anyone have any ideas to try on these? Also I have been having problems with the bolts for the covers becoming loose on their own. I have them tightened to what the spec says to go to. It said to go between 3-5 ft pounds so I put them on at 48 in. pounds. I'm not sure if the bolts are not seating correctly or something. Thanks for any opinions. Hopefully I am just missing something.

2. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

A few whacks with a rubber mallet around periphery of the covers has always popped them loose for me. The alloy covers are much stronger than stamped steel, and they won't dent, but get carried away and they might crack. mo.

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

3-5 ft lbs is way to low.
    Likely you have cork gaskets and due to the low pressure fused to the covers and heads.
    Also, you may have missed putting a thin coat of oil on cork gaskets as an anti seize.
    Don't pry on them. Rap with a rubber mallet at several locations until they come loose.

4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

BEAT UM WITH THE RUBBER HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THAT THE WAY ITS DONE:)

5. parts4me

That's what the company that made the valve covers said to put them at. I don't want to crack them, so I am not too sure.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I don't know who made them, but valve covers that require an expensive inch pound torque wrench to install sound a mite delicate.
    After all, Pee Wee Herman or Obama with a screwdriver in hand is going to put down at least 6 ft lbs, and an average guy 'snug' is going to be over 15.
    On my aluminum covers I use the metal core gaskets and run them down to 25-30. The sole reason for buying cast covers is so that they don't bend when you torque them down enough that they don't have screws vibrating out or developing leaks.

7. parts4me

That's the type I got to replace the ones that are on there now. So I'll run them down a bit more this time. Thanks.

8. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

If the valve covers are stuck that good they probably are not leaking. :D

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Not for 90% of the aftermarket Valve covers out there its for looks

its been said plenty of times but rap down the side with a mallet as far as bolts not staying tight order some 5/16 setscrews 1 1/4 long and some flange nuts and stud them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

these set screws are self locking and so are the nuts

MaxInValrico likes this.
  10. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I use Felpro neoprene valve cover gaskets like these VS50044R for the 460 with Permatex High Tack. They will not shrink and leak.

11. dbailey

dbailey In Second Gear

I ran into this same problem on a set of Edelbrock "Elite Series" valve covers on a 289/302. If you are working on a 302 there should be 6 bolts holding the covers on. With the Edelbrock Elite covers there is a set of Dummy plastic bolt plugs making them look like a 2 piece cover, however your top (carburetor side) the center one, is actually a long bolt holding the cover to the head. These covers are also hard to fit the gasket too, in most cases you will have to trim the gasket to the cover. It is important to pre-fit the gasket to the cover first prior to installing them, or you will get a leak.
    Dan

12. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I've bought all kinds of fasteners from McMaster-Carr.

13. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

You can find just about anything you need at McMaster except for a wife.
    I had been there once to pick up at will-call. you could host an NFL game there.