Vin

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 74Chero, Jun 22, 2020.

1. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Hey everyone its been awhile. Been really busy. Well I ran into a problem. I bought a 1970 ranchero a while back. Come to find out recently when I finally got it home after couple years things are not matching up. Dash vin is different than blue tag thats on the body. Dash says its a 6cyl car. Blue tag says its a CJ car. WTF. Well it has drum brakes all around. Anyway is there anywhere else I might find a vin to match to the blue tag? Im thinking there is some funny business going on. Thanks for all the help

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Nice can "O" worms you got there. Is the blue tag in good condition ? Any attempt at removing it should destroy it. Sounds like someone took the lazy way when replacing the dash pad sometime in the past. The panel with the vin tag did separate from the padded part but there are lazy folks who didn't bother.
    I have owned a few 1970 Torino Cobra cars that even with a 429 CJ engine, only had drum brakes. The disc brakes were still an option in 1970. What engine is in that Ranchero ? Fifth digit in the vin will either be a "C" for the hydraulic lifter Quadrajet carb 429 engine or a "J" for the solid lifter Holley carb 429 version. There is a machined ledge on the back of the block behind the driver's side head ( level with the head gasket ) that will have most of the vin number stamped on it. There is also a flat machined on the top of the transmission case with the vin number on it. You will find the vin number on the top of the inner front fender forward of the hood hinges. Have to remove the front fenders to see that one. There will be another vin number on the rear frame rails in the gas tank area.
    Hope you find more numbers that match the blue door tag.

3. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Thanks for the reply and info. The blue tag is in good shape but the pillar its mounted to looks to maybe have been replaced. Blue tag show M for 351c 4v maybe mistaken but was told thats a CJ engine. Ranchero was bought without drivetrain. Guy said it did have a 351c 4v in it. Anyway when I get a chance im definitely going to pull the fender and look around the gas tank area.

4. Hillbilly

Lots of confusion about those years. 70 and 71 had 302 2 venturi, 351C 2 venturi, 351C 4 venturi, 351 Windsor 2 venturi, base 429 4 barrel, and two versions of the 429 CJ. In 1972 Ford played the numbers game basically calling the 351C four venturi a Cobra Jet engine and dropping the 429 CJ's. Further adding to the 70/ 71 confusion, if you knew what box to check, any of those engines could be ordered with a shaker hood. The presence of the shaker hood did not mean there was a true Cobra Jet engine in those years. Mercury Montegos and Cyclones of 70 / 71 shared the same engine and option lineup.

5. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

Not sure about a 70, but 72-79, when you pull the padded dash pad you get the dash vin with it. If you pull a used dah cap to replace a cracked one and don’t swap the steel cover with the vin, poof, the dash vin no longer matches the vehicle. The real question now is which vin is on the pink slip. If the title matches the door VIN and the other vins on the car you may be able to get a replacement dash vin tag. If it’s the other way around you will probably have to file a damaged title bond and get an assigned VIN from the DMV. The down side to that is your ranchero will lose value due to the assigned VIN..

6. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

The perils of used cars... particularly when they are modified.

My 69, the full VIN is located on the dash, the drivers door tag, and under both the fenders. Partial VIN on the back of the engine block just under the drivers side head, and on the top of the main casing of the Trans, just in front of the tail shaft casing. If they are stock. VIN on the block is not a given, Ford did on some and didn't on others until required by regulation. All stock is so much easier to deal with, IMO. Unfortunately some people aren't always as honest as they should be

7. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

I got a chance to pull the front fenders and found a tag on both sides with partial vin that matches the last 6 numbers of the replacement vin and pinkslip. Have pics but I cant get my phone to upload them.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020 at 6:23 PM
  8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The VIN stamped on my inner fender may or may not match the VIN on my dash. But who cares? I have three titles to chose from.

9. Hillbilly

If those front two match the dash plate, the one back by the tank should match too. Cops are lazy and seldom look past the dash plate. Ignore the door tag and carry the photos of the front ones in the glove box. You in like Flint !

10. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

You could get a correct reproduction door tag from Marti Auto Works

11. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

The 2 I found don't match the dash plate. They match the replacement tag so im going to get rid of the dash plate

12. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Ill look into that thanks

13. Hillbilly

Seems I remember at one time being able to get a reproduction dash vin plate with the correct rivets if you presented the correct documentation for your Ford. Will look into if that is still possible or discontinued.