washer conversion

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 65restomod, Oct 31, 2019.

1. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Anybody ever convert their pedal washers to electric pump with a all in one wiper switch?
    I have a 2 speed wiper and the manual floor mounted washer and I find it very difficult to use the pedal due to my foot size and it will be more difficult when the kick panel speaker pods are in.
    I really do not want to drill an extra hole in the dash for a separate switch.
    Any creative minds out there?

2. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

You have two-speed wipers AND a washer? I am so jealous! I guess I have two-speed wipers, too: OFF and ON!

The later trucks had a twist knob for the wiper speed, and you could push the knob in to control the washer pump. Maybe one of those would fit without you having to mod your dash. Or maybe it was an option in a later Falcon or Ranchero, and you could find one of those somewhere.

Joseph

3. 65restomod

Thanks, Joseph
    I am doing research as I write this but still looking for more helpful suggestions as to what would fit harness plug wise.

4. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

You might have to make your own intermediate/adapter harness between the new switch(es) and the old harness. Whatever the solution, please post your results. Maybe I'll get brave and use your findings to adapt a washer/multi-speed wiper in my '64.

Is your '65 on the road yet? With the cooler weather, I'm starting to use my defroster, but the windshield is fogging up before it slooooowwwwwlllyyyyyy defogs. Starts with a spot low on the windshield, and spreads from there. Do you get the same, or are you using your defroster yet? To me, this is a higher priority than a potential wiper/washer upgrade.

Joseph

5. 65restomod

6. 65restomod

Joseph, It looks like it will be a plug and play for the switch. just need to add a terminal for the washer pump.
    The '65 is road worthy but it sits because I need to move the seat back with seat track extensions so my knee does not hit the steering wheel.
    Its been in the 40 50's F here no need for defroster yet it will not see the winter out side.
    To me what you have is a case of the heater core is starting to seep inside the heater box as it heats up it produces moisture and as it warms up more of that moisture will come out of the ducts and condense on the windshield and when it is totally warm the moisture will dry out.
    Sound like its time to change the heater core.
    It is a easy job. 4 or 5 bolts and drain the cooling system blow out the heater hoses and remove the whole box and work on it in the drive way.
    I just changed out my heater motor ( making noise ) I did it in the car no need to remove the box out of it.
    PO had someone replace the heater core and they did not replace the original motor.
    If you need any advise let me know.
    Be cautious when splitting the housing ask how to remove the clips.

With the wiper motor 2 speed you will need a 2 speed motor if you use that switch and possibly some added wiring. IDK for sure

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  7. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

That's what I thought, too. I swiped the windshield and smelled it. It didn't smell like radiator fluid. I thought the PO switched in a new core, although it could still be leaking, or maybe he didn't get the hose clamps tight enough. I'll try to stress-test it this weekend. I'll also try to swipe the heater box, and see if I run into any moisture.

I did a quick Google search. It looks like I will need switch, motors, and wiring. It shouldn't be too bad. No mods to any of the sheet metal.

Joseph

8. 65restomod

9. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I remember it being very tight quarters last year, when I thought I had a clogged heater core. It ended up being a clogged return port on the water pump, so the coolant couldn't circulate. Now that it's able to circulate, things get toasty. But when I turn on the fan, and redirect it to the defroster, the windshield instantly fogs up. I already had things to look at this weekend (carb and soft brakes), now things are getting crowded (carb, brakes, heater core). At least I'll get an extra hour on Sunday.

Joseph

10. 65restomod

So! is your wife OK with that?

11. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

SWMBO is okay with my tinkering in the garage on Saturday, as long as I don't exhaust myself to the point where I'm incoherent and fall asleep on the sofa in the evening. Sunday is HER day!

"Joseph, mow the lawn!"
    "Joseph, clean the kitchen!"
    "Joseph, go to the store!"
    "Joseph, stop leering at the neighbor girl!"
    "Joseph, put that keyboard down!"

You know, life as all married men know it. :D

Joseph

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

No 'Honey Do' list is complete without getting caught ogling the walking totty.

65restomod and colnago like this.
  13. 65restomod

Another question.
    Does anybody know what to do with the wires attached to the pump pedal?Just tape them off ,cut them or let them free float under the carpet

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

At the minimum tape them individually as at least one was hot to let the washer switch cycle the wiper motor.

15. 65restomod

That's what I thought, I will leave them in case someone wants to convert it back.

16. 65restomod

colnago likes this.
  17. 65restomod

OK !, after removing the old foot operated foot pump I found that there is more than 2 wires coming off the pump switch. A 3 wire connector and a 2 wire connector. With those disconnected, wipers do not operate. I was able to get the wipers to function by grounding a white wire in the harness in the ( I think, the 2 wire connector I'm not near the car) but they won't park. Tried plugging one connector at a time to get them to park, no difference. I'm a a loss trying to eliminate the switch. I may remove the switch, tape the it closed and tuck it up and out of the way IDK for sure ( any suggestions?)
    Removed the cluster to replace the original wiper switch and install a new 7 pin wiper switch from a Mustang parts site with the 7th terminal for activating the new washer pump.
    https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/1964-1965-2-SPEED-WIPER-SWITCH-21p7102.htm
    The original wiper plug in the harness plugged right in to the new switch. There is a blank hole in that plug that had to be"modified" to accept my female spade terminal.
    Relocated the washer fluid bag about 2 inches forward of the original location and installed a single speed (one wire original style pump) between the bag and shock tower on the inner fender well . Need to run the wire from the switch to the pump

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

On the '68 Mustang with the foot pump, the wiper switch routed through a connector at the foot pump, and if you pushed the pump the wipers would sweep, then park. Even though the pump was manual, the wipers were wired through them and it included the park function.

My brother used to mess with folks, he'd gently step on the pump (not briskly enough to squirt washer fluid) but slowly to trigger the wiper sweep, all while keeping his hands visibly motionless on the steering wheel. Seemingly at random - and it would make his passenger wonder what the heck was going on.

I don't imagine the wiring is that different from the Mustang and I'd bet you could probably diagnose it pretty well is the corresponding year Mustang wiring. FWIW. YMMV.

19. 65restomod

I get all of that, I know how they function I just want to eliminate the switch, wiring diagram is not specific enough!
    I was on several Mustang and Falcon sites and no one has addressed what I want to do.

20. 65restomod

I just found this: http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Diagrams/elecwiper.jpeg
    Its for a 1964 falcon 2 speed wiper. I really don't think it is different
    Now I have to figure out the path to use to get the wipers to operate and park without the foot pump switch. Any help would be appreciated.
    I cannot get a good view of the switch in the diagram for the foot pedal, tried the magnifier function but it gets very distorted.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 5:09 PM