Weird Starter relay noises.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by GBH Jon, Dec 6, 2020.

1. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Well it looks like it was the horn button....ground contact was melted. Must have been making continuous but slight contact. Altho now the gauge cluster is back in, it won't turn over...... Got to love these old motors...... Was turning over fine before.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Check your tach connection - serial tach, car won't start unless the tach is connected and operational.

3. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Tach connection appears to be OK, it kicks slightly when the key is turned. Spent most of the day ripping out the old Black Widow Alarm/ Immobiliser as it was a pita..... plus to get it out of the equation re the non start.

4. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Heh....Turns out the bloody solenoid had failed. Was working when I started the job, so was mistakingly concentrating on the ignition switch end...... Lesson is, don't assume anything! Sussed it when I couldn't hot wire it, then put 12v to exciter terminal, nothing. So old red unbreakable original equipment one had broke. On a positive side immobiliser and alarm etc are now gone.........and the noises are no more, just need a new horn button. Thanks for all the help.

65restomod, pmrphil and Hillbilly like this.
  5. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Glad you got it sorted!
    In hind sight I was wondering if it had a security system and was going to ask if it was there but.................. you know!

GBH Jon likes this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, I'm getting rusty, that should've been my second point, after the neutral/safety switch.