Well time to fix a few things, fuel and coolant leak.

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Shok, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

So my 72 Ranchero sat for a few months without being started, went to start it and it was up and running on he third try, that’s the good part.
    It was leaking a lot of gas, mostly from the hose right off the filter, so new hose and filter there, but the accelerator pump is weeping a bit. I haven’t decided between rebuilding the 2bbl carb it has now or swapping to a 4bbl. If I rebuild any recommended kits? A lot of stuff nowadays seems crappy so I would want a good kit.
    It is also leaking some coolant from the front, I’ve attached a pic. How likely is this just a gasket thing and not a need a new cover thing? I’ve never pulled the water pump/front cover off a Windsor and just want to know what to expect.
    That said used it a lot the other day and once the cobwebs were blown out it was running great.

Attached Files:

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If the timing cover is pitted, it can be fixed like new with JB weld.
    You just have to clean it and degrease it well, spread the JB on the surface, then sand flat after it cures.

Shok likes this.
  3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Before taking anything apart, try snugging up the bolts first - it looks like you just have some "weepers"

Shok and ForistellFord like this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Good advice. Maybe remove some of the bolts, RTV the threads and put them back. Looks like the leak is around one of those bolt heads.

ForistellFord and Shok like this.
  5. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Good idea, I found one I was able to tighten a bit, but that was not with a short combo 9/16-1/2 inch wrench. Since even if I change the part out I would douse it in wd40 first I’ll just do that step anyway and after letting it soak see if anything would like to tighten a hair.

It’s all possible it loosened, just like when I went to fix the fuel leak the fuel filter was basically finger tight. I wonder if it’s vibrations from freeway driving at modern speeds or something else. Maybe checking bolts for tightness was a more reg thing 45 years ago.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If properly installed the bolt won't loosen even after 1,000,000 miles with a 'forever' fix.
    Leaks erode gasket material though, and this will reduce their thickness, allowing the bolt to be tightened further.
    Be careful with water pump bolts. If thread seal wasn't used there is a risk of one snapping while tightening or loosening. So be prepared to do the whole job (complete removal) before starting twisting on those things.

Shok likes this.
  7. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Good point. Luckily it’s not my daily driver. Maybe I’ll mess with it over the long weekend.

Still thinking about the 4bbl swap too

8. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Even if it's your daily driver, it's not going to run dry just driving it to work and back. I wouldn't take a cross-country trek with a weeping cooling system, but as long as you monitor your coolant levels, you won't run it dry.

On the carb choice, that's always a bit of a personal choice. I chose to stay with the Autolite 2100, to stay stock, but also to avoid dealing with replacing the carb, and the intake, and the throttle linkage, and the gaskets, and the fuel lines, etc. Mine is my daily driver, though, so I can't take it down for too long.

Just my two cents,

Joseph

9. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Yeah I’ve had daily drivers that weeped fluid and needed regular attention, my current commute and s around 150 miles a day tho, so glad I have another choice for commuting.

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

good to see you back Shok

11. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Thanks, I’m never far away, just suffer from that too many car project thing, plus life interference, like being unemployed for around 8 months, but back to work and time to get some progress on the cars.