What are these seats?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ringo00, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ringo00

Ringo00 In Second Gear

Hey guys,

I bought a 1973 parts 'Chero to help complete the one I already had and these seats were in the parts truck. The foam and frames are in good shape, but I'd like to recover them. Does anyone know what they might have come from or where to get new upholstery for them on the cheap?[​IMG]

2. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Looks like a mid 80s Thunder Bird I had a set in my 71 until I got some fox body Mustang seats.

3. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Looks European. What's the seat track look like.

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Yep,could be cougar,Tbird buckets if they have correct tracks.Check with your local stitcher,$250 >ea.depending on style,material.
    [​IMG]

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

6. Ringo00

Ringo00 In Second Gear

Thanks guys! The tracks are a direct fit for my 73 Ranchero so they are likely from a 70's Ford of some type. They may even be original to the truck, I've just never seen that stitch pattern before. I wonder if I could use any low back covers from that generation? For now, I just fixed the holes with a vinyl repair kit and dyed them with a can of duplicolor fabric/vinyl spray. I think they will work for now.

[​IMG]

7. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

I just saw some seats exactly like that on the 'bay for a Fox Body Mustang. Would have snapped them up, but I love my bench!

Joseph

8. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Second Gear

9. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Second Gear

How complex is the process to apply the dye spray?

10. Ringo00

Ringo00 In Second Gear

I can't vouch for how durable it is, but it is no different that using rattle can paint. I took all the plastic and trim off, then I cleaned the seats with Simple Green and went over them with some rubbing alcohol to make sure they were completely clean and dry. Once they were dry, I sprayed on the paint in multiple light coats until it was covered. I used a full can per seat a let it dry for a couple of days. Once the paint was completely dry, I went over it with some Meguiar's leather and vinyl protectant. It was pretty easy.

This link is the stuff I used. I cleaned and sprayed the vinyl dash pad to match. As always, "your mileage may vary", but I'm pretty happy with the result.
    https://duplicolor.com/product/vinyl-and-fabric-coating

11. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Like any paint process,the surface has to clean.Once clean,material is wiped down with solvent(PPG) prior to paint coating.I have had good results with SEM paint products.Changed interior color from green to black in my 73 10 years ago.Still holding up well!
    Just restored these door panels last year,they were brown..
    SAM_3766.JPG

TestDummy likes this.
  12. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

SEM makes the best stuff. I used their argent paint for my grille and other stuff that is supposed to be silver. It goes on smooth and looks OE.