WHAT DID I DO????

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by sarah, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

So the glass guy came out....and I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into. Well its definitely a job that needs to be done...and I've got alot more to do than anticipated....

[​IMG]

I took other pictures...but this will give you an idea...I'll post the others a little later. It is a good thing I bought a new seal...the other came out in more pieces than a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.... :(

I can fix it....you saw what I repaired on the quarter....

2. sarah

So I'm in the initial stages of replacing the headliner...

[​IMG]

Bobbie came out from All Star Auto Glass a great friend of ours to pull RED's back glass out and RED didn't give it up without a battle. He said that has to be the most brittle of rubber he's seen and the adhesive that was used....was never meant to come out... LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the drivers side looks much better than the passenger side....its going to need some serious cleaning....

[​IMG]

they used super snot or something...gorilla paste who knows but...its a mess even the chrome needs work

[​IMG]

3. sarah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the rest just basically looks dirty...but not in bad shape over all....it won't be till this weekend before I get the rest taken out... So any suggestions on what I should prep this metal with before having the glass reinstalled. I know I have some serious cleanup to do.... I also have some great changes in store. I'll keep ya'll posted if ya want me too. :D

4. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Use a heat gun to get the old adhesive out. I would use some Black Rust Oleum it has a lot of Fish oil in it. My uncle swears by it.

5. sarah

Thank you sir.... Klaus told me I'm crazy even trying to do this...but that's me, I'll try anything at least once...and my labor prices are something I can afford :D :D

6. Petey

Petey Guest

I may be wrong, but I think most of the rust troubles we have around windows is due to the trim adhesive melting then shrinking the uncured paint. The yellow trim glue seems to pull the paint more than the black. 3M brand seems to be the least likely to do damage. I also use 3M Window Weld sealer between the glass and rubber and rubber to pinch weld with good results. Might be a good idea to allow extra drying time on the new paint before putting everything back together. It is winter Sarah, can you get your garage good an' hot for a few hours ?
    Tennessee Hillbilly

7. sarah

Actually looks like a warming trend. But it is winter and I don't have any plans with RED...so it will take how ever long it takes. I'm definitely going to bring that down and make sure all of the surface rust is outta there. Bobbie said he has the perfect sealer for the seal when its time to put the window back in. Oh and I might mention I don't know if that is a piece of glass you can get but Bobbie is going to make a template for it, so he'll have that on file in case someone may need a back window. I was told to use 3M trim adhesive when it comes time to put the headliner in to hold it into place. Nothing around that area was addressed when I had RED painted because there wasn't a need at the time to disturb the glass. But now that its going apart that far I'm going to correct what had been left alone. Unfortunately when you don't have the funds to do a frame up resto like Sean and some of the others... you do what you can for the time being. I'm excited its going to look great when its done. :D

8. Petey

Petey Guest

Oh yeah - - We're all crazy about these Rancheros. If we weren't, we wouldn't be here. Something tells me you won't be paying anyone else to do headliners once you see how easy it really is. Klaus gonna' wire the new dome light or just hand you the tools ?
    Tennessee Hillbilly

9. nsr

nsr Guest

Tear it up girl!!!! I was wondering if you had done that yet. Now I know. Make sure you send some pics when it's done.

10. sarah

hand me the tools.... that reminds me I guess I should take a picture of it too... :D Hey I know where the underdash light is.... not hard to go from there. This light was cool it came with this wire connector so all we need to do is hook to it. It's even got the moron colors RED-power...black-ground...yellow- lights... hooked up to this little tiny connector that plugs right into the dome light. I want to put a little chrome polish to that. :D I bought an emblem from the tailgate of a 66 Ranchero....its RED and Chrome... in really decent shape
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to cover that piece that goes over the glove box with RED and put that emblem there....It looks so cool... then I'm recovering the back panel :D :D that is going to be alot of fun... Klaus says I'm totally certifiable...I did marry him LOL

11. Petey

Petey Guest

Why not stash that original trim piece over the glove box and snag one from another car to redo ? Gonna' look GOOD !

12. sarah

Actually the one that is over the glove in RED is warped I bought one off Ebay that is perfect for 5 bucks...it's going into the original stash and the warped one you see is getting the coverup :D

13. sarah

the guy I bought that from also had a glove box door that appears to be better than RED's so that is coming out too... :D :D

14. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Oh Hang tight girlfriend,I`ll be there and I`m bringin my sand blaster...

15. sarah

and YOU can stay in Georgia with that sand blaster...... You can come but leave the equipment at home :D :D

16. How are you doing the dome light, Sarah? Are you going to mount something up in the middle of the roof or are you going to put a smaller light in each of the 'B' pillars?
    Jim [​IMG]

17. sarah

As soon as I finish getting RED apart to where I can see how I'm going to do it...I planned on taking pictures of the how's and where's and that way if someone else is inclined to do that with their ride...maybe I'll be able to provide a reference point. :D I have to smaller lights that would actually fit in the pillars that I found but I'm going to go with the dome light that I pulled out of a 74 Continental....really cool light. If you want I can take pictures of the other two if you might be interested in them or someone else.

18. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Hey Sarah, glad you got it going, just take your time and do it right. And may I suggest you use the right products for your project, 3M adhesive for the headliner, 3M windshield bedding compound (between frame and the gasket won't dry out and shrink, sorta made for that application) and 3M sealer (between the glass and the gasket). I guess you found out what happens when the wrong products are used, kinda tears up the moulding getting it off and doesn't seal too good, Have Fun and do it when it's warm or heat the garage, headliners and rubber aren't very happy when they are cold...

19. Thanks, Sarah. When I did the headliner in my '72 a few years ago I put a dome light in. I took the overhead crossmember out of a Torino-bodied 4-door and mounted it in my roof so the dome light would have something to mount to. For power I tied into the convienence light under the dash. Eventualy I plan on mounting 2 more under-dash lights in the storage area behind the seats. It'll make it a lot easier to find stuff back there, especialy at night. [​IMG]
    Jim [​IMG]

20. That's the best idea I've heard in a while!