What is a good way to re-seal a dip stick tube?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Jeff B, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I had to remove the dip stick tube on the Ranchero and tweak it a bit to go around the blower bracket.
    The little tab that braced the top of the tube had to be removed and I will figure something out to replace that.
    What is the best way to seal the tube to the block. I get mixed reviews on silicone and oil and I would hope to get at least a little holding strength. This is on a '70 302.

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

If the end of the tube away from the block is not solidly secured to either the block or head the tube will leak and also quickly fail.
    I haven't run into leaks on front mount tubes, probably because there is little oil at the point they enter.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As long as the hole and the tube end is clean and oil-free, Black RTV works just fine: allow it to cure 24 hours before exposing it to hot oil. And John's right about the bracket; at the very least, it can end up pulling out of the block if it's not secured topside.

4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I have a tube of Ford oil pan stuff, I will see if is still good. I agree on the bracket on the tube. The bolt on the head is now covered up so I will have to find another way to secure it.

5. Basstrix

Basstrix In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I agree with Andy. It was normal to remove the dip stick tube when we rebuilt engines at our shop and the only thing I can remember us using was silicone. The tube needs to fit snugly into the block.

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Permatex "The Right Stuff" will add some hold, as well as seal it very well, even if it's a bit loose.

7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

JB Weld- fixes most things, including my oil pan the PO repaired:

Old oil pan patch.jpg

Jeff B likes this.
  8. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

A whack with a drift punch on the block end of the tube to make a tighter seal,then seal it.