What modles were the rancheros baised on?

Discussion in 'Ranchero History' started by Lonesurfur, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Lonesurfur

Lonesurfur Guest

My 68 ranchero is a fairlane. I am wondering what years and modles were used to make the ranchero.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

57/59 fairlane
    60/66 falcon
    67/69 fairlane
    70/76 torino
    77/79 ltd II

3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Should note that in 57-59 Fairlane was a full-size car with a frame, only size Ford made in those years. The name got recycled and downsized for the smaller unibody Fairlane of '67.

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

BB ford did make the Tbird in thoes years and it was a different frame.....

5. rayell

rayell Guest

BB, Ford made two different frames on the 57/59 models. The Fairlane 500/Galaxie, and the Customs. The Ranchero was on the Custom wheel base 116" in 57/58. The 1959 was on the Fairlane/Galaxie wheelbase 118". The 57 Tbird was on a frame. the 58 up Tbirds were unit construction. Check it out.

[ September 16, 2007, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: rayell ]

6. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

When I first fount this site, RancheroUSA, I entered Ranchero in th search engine and fount a history of Ranchero...
    I think its on th front page here,but I can`t find it...Very informative article it is...

7. 1114vontagen

1114vontagen In Third Gear

From 1957 to 1959 the Ranchero was built on the full size Ford Chassis. The Ranchero was based on the 2 door Ford Wagon, known as the Ranch Wagon. The 59 was about 6 inches longer than either the 57 or the 58. Lift out the bed of a 50's Ranchero and you'll find the floor pan of the Ranch Wagon. Fairlane was a trim option of the full size Ford. It was not a seperate line in the 50's
    From 1960 to 1964 the Ranchero was based on the compact Falcon line. Once again it shared a floor pan with the 2 door Falcon Wagon. Remove the bed panel of the Ranchero and you will find the rear seat wheel wells of the 2 door Falcon Wagon.
    I don't think the 1966 Ranchero was designated a Falcon, although it shared components with the Falcon Wagon. I think Ford simply designated it "Ranchero". The Falcon Wagon and the Ranchero were based on the mid size chassis and weren't really compact.
    In 1967 the Ranchero moved to the Fairlane line. It was now officially a mid sized car as well as mid size in fact. 1967 may have been the only year that Ranchero was called a Fairlane. In 1968 and 1969 Ranchero was designated simply Ranchero (I think), but was still in the Mid sized class.
    In 1970 Ranchero moved to the Torino line. Ranchero remained a Mid size car despite the fact that it grew in 1972. It remained a Torino until that line was renamed the "LTD II" in the late 1970s' (1977 I think.) Even though the 1970's Rancheros were officially mid size Fords, they had the largest beds of any Rancheros. The '72 - '79 Ranchero could carry a sheet of 4x8 plywood between the wheel wells. No other Ranchero could do that.
    Bill von Tagen
    '67 Ranchero, 66A
    '59 Ranchero, 66C

8. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

the 68 69 rancheros were also based on the torino line. The 66 was still a falcon and yes 77-79 was the LTDII era. just thought I would help you out a bit! :D

9. Ryno

Ryno Guest

I know. the bed of my ranchero i huge. i dont know what do do with all the space

10. Pimpcher075

Pimpcher075 In Third Gear

cut it, tub it, fuel cell = traction =-0

11. Sparky1958

Sparky1958 In First Gear

I'm assuming there is a mid year change somewhere. I have a 68, that is tagged as a Fairlane, and the seat bucket is still there, although it is screwed down and can't be opened (yet). I plan on removing the screws and see what's up. When I say tagged, I mean the door card says "Fairlane 500". New to the Ranchero world, so just throwing out there what I have.

12. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?threads/ford-ranchero-platforms-over-the-years.23963/

13. Sparky1958

Sparky1958 In First Gear

14. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This must have broken FF's record for reincarnating old threads. This one started September 2007 with 10 posts left until October, 2007. Then, just shy of 10 1/2 years later, someone posts again. Who knows, maybe Lonesurfur (that's not even spelled right) will come back for his answer :)

15. FordR500GT

I was thinking the same when I saw the first reply, but I just said 'hell with it' and posted anyway

Basstrix likes this.
  16. FordR500GT

Also, can guests even log in anymore?

TestDummy likes this.
  17. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Guests haven't been able to post here for a real long time.

18. FordR500GT

Yep, figured that

19. TestDummy

At a minimum, 10 1/2 years.

20. TestDummy

You, sir, are what all leading psychologist refer to as an enabler.