What type Tranny fluid in a C-4 ??

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by Bearpaw58, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Bearpaw58

Bearpaw58 In Third Gear

Just Ran out of type FA. Local (good) parts dealer says to use DEX/MERC in it now. Says they quit making type FA.
    Am I good to use it??
    Stop me before I do something stupid to it. I'm gonna hold off till I hear back what to use.
    I just want to run the right stuff. Looked in the shop manual. It said Rotunda ATF. I'm pretty sure they don't make it anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Barry.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

You should be able to get Type F fluid...Even walmart still markets it.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-Type-F/16213434

3. Bearpaw58

Bearpaw58 In Third Gear

Thanks!! I'll look for it at my local Wally World.
    If I can't find it, I'll ask back about the other stuff. But I'm going to Wal-Mart today to look for it!

Appreciate your help, that's why I belong!
    I got a long way to go, but I'm learning. Thanks to all!!

4. Bearpaw58

Bearpaw58 In Third Gear

Thanks for your help. Just wanted to let you know I found the type FA @ Carquest. They said they hadn't hear of production stopping on it. Me thinks somebody just didn't order it, and wanted to sell me something else that was "just as good". I dont want "just as good", I want the right stuff, I'm not trusting my tranny to mixing different ATFs in there!!
    Thanks again for your reply! I hope I can return the favor sometime.
    Barry

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

O'Reilley's has Type F -- just bought a couple quarts there recently. I also see it in some supermarkets in this area.

6. 77GTSC

77GTSC In Second Gear

No Problem finding type F here in S.C..... Just had the fmx rebuilt in my 69 Mach 1,my transmission man said Dexton is ok in place of type F.

7. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

i dont know about that either i just listen to my dipstick there jimmy use whats written on it

8. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

I get the Pennzoil type F over here even :D

9. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I was told to use Mercon/dexron in my C6 by the trans shop that rebuilt it (early 70's era trans). They said that it would work fine and not hurt a thing, BUT if I wanted tighter shifts or was going to be using the trans for heavy service (i.e towing/racing) the Type F or FA would be a better choice. They also told me stick with one don't mix to two types in the same trans. I went with type F and have been very happy with the trans.

10. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

The Ford shop said the same to me, but I did not belive them, when I said it was from 72 they said, oh that old. Sure it will work on new and better oil.
    So I think "they don't have a clue" and stick to the "F" type.
    But anyway my C6 is fried now :rolleyes:

11. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

The clutch pack material used by Ford in the 60s and 70s needed the extra coarse type F or FA fluid to work properly and not slip, rebuilds use the same type clutch material that GM has used for years so using Dextron/Mercon is ok. Never figured out why some powersteering pumps called for type F though:confused:

FlufDrizzle likes this.
  12. FlufDrizzle

FlufDrizzle In First Gear

Thanks for the insight, learned something new today.

13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's hydraulic fluid. Simple as that. However, it likely led to the noisy Ford "Moaning sickness" that everyone hates.

14. colnago

colnago In Second Gear

The power steering probably specified Type F because it was a Ford product, and a Ford shop already had Type F on hand for their trannies. Why specify some other mystery fluid for the shops to stock, especially if it wasn't needed very often? For the most part, the customer isn't going to know or care.

Just my SWAG,

Joseph

15. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

TYPE F in FLA easy to find also