Wheel tire packages for a 69 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Truckpoor, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

I have some off brand wheels in 15 by 7 size. I'm fairly certain the truck came with 14 6's but not positive. Looking to put some wheels and tires on the truck , Looking at different wheels and liking the styled steel chrome rims for the early Mustangs. What I am seeing is back spacing of up to 4 inches on these wheels. Was there actually 4 inches of back spacing on original wheels on these trucks? Recommendations on what size wheels will fit without causing problems? What size tires can I run? Want to go a little larger than the little 205's if possible. 14's, 15's? Any recommendations for buying a package deal tires and wheels? Would even be interested in a set of used wheels and tires in my area. Southern Illinois, Paducah, Kentucky , Evansville, Indiana, ST. Louis, although St. Louis is a 120 miles from me. Been cruising the internet looking for some used rims but not finding much.
    I am also finding that people selling stuff on the internet, don't seem to be interested in telling you anything about what they are selling. Bolt pattern ? don't know, wheel size, don't know, what did these come off of? don't know. Wheel width? don't know. All I know is I bought these and they didn't fit my car, and I want 300$ for these.
    Also noticed something else interesting. Chevy guys must change their wheels and tires every time they get a whim. Either that or there are an awful lot of chevy's going to the junk yard without wheels. For every add for a set of Ford wheels, there are most likely ten for the other brand.

2. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Been wondering what I can fit in there myself. Cars in paint and body for a while now , had measured 4" backspace on wheels yes 14"x 6" are factory I'm also looking at 15" Styled steel wheels. Coker offers the styled rims in full chrome 15" variety of widths 8" is 4-1/2" backspace, believe it will work with 24560 tire but need to remeasure. They offer some packages also you pick rim and tires.
    The 14's that came with car had 2356014 on rear of mine also a set that had 245 width.
    Stopped looking at rims in used stuff long ago, people want price of brand new for junk. Buy new and enjoy if funds allow.
    Good luck in finding what ya want and let us know what ya find that fits.

3. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

From back in the day... My Uncle ran 15's on this Ranchero... G50's or 60's in the rear... 7 or 8's up front. I will be going over to the shop this weekend, the wheels are still there, will through the tape on them and see what's what.

Attached Files:

Dyno likes this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's got a nice stance to it.

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  5. PonyExpressRider

Big Tires and 8" Shackles, 1 inch spacers in the front coils! :cool:

6. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Pony that'd be nice. For me garage is in back yard, not going near it right now was 5 degrees this morning when went to work warmed up to a balmy 16 degrees at 330 when I got done work. No heat in garage, house warm.

7. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

It was 45 in SoCal this morning at 6:30. Unfortunately, we're looking at rain this weekend. At least it will be a warm wet.

Joseph

8. PonyExpressRider

Upper 30's in Southern Oregon this morning... might hit 50 for a high... might have to through some sunscreen on! LOL!!!

colnago likes this.
  9. PonyExpressRider

Sorry guys... low and behold... the rims are gone! Thought I saw them there last weekend under some tires... but apparently not.

10. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

I've decided To go with one of four sizes of wheels. 14/6 or 7, or 15/6 or 7. Any opinions on this? I think anything larger would cause problems, which I don't need. I have found a set of the painted GT wheels with nice tires for 450$ , which would be a nice savings on tires. What I'm looking at are otherwise are, the GT style in a chrome without trim ring, and the Magnum style. Not looking for the drag car look, just something that looks nice. Summit seems to have the best price on the wheels at roughly 130 per wheel with free shipping, without caps etc.. Caps are 44 each though from them, but I've found another source for the caps at 100$ a set.
    In addition, I'm thinking I need new rear springs from the looks of things. For those who don't know Ranchero springs are different from the regular car springs, and apparently not in much demand as prices are twice as much and have to be factory ordered at about 430$ a set plus shipping. The shackle bushings are shot and the front spring eye bushings are also. The left main leaf is slightly bent at the front and the next leaf shows a gap. Station wagon springs are the same it looks like, but finding a junk station wagon with good springs is most likely not an option. I could put all new bushings in but I feel that would not cure my problem. Already replaced the front springs. I am also wondering about the two options for the rear springs. According to one site I looked at, the springs are rated 900 plus pounds for a Ranchero, and 1100 lbs. for the station wagon. On another site, the springs were listed for the Ranchero in both weights. I intend to use this everyday Ranchero for my everyday driver, and I intend to haul stuff in it, so which way should I go I wonder?

11. Carl Steinbarger

Carl Steinbarger In Second Gear

I've got a set of these I'm selling.. They are 14x7 with new BF Goodrich 225/70 R14 white lettered tires.. They are correct for Ranchero GT, Mach I and Torino GT.. I'm asking $750.. I have the 14x7 rims, wheel covers with mounted and balanced tires.. I don't know where you live, just throwing the info out there.... img-8802_orig.jpg pj0616-245030_2@2x.jpg

12. Truckpoor

Truckpoor In Second Gear

I suspecct you are a long way from me. I live in Illinois.

13. Carl Steinbarger

Carl Steinbarger In Second Gear

14. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

15's width according to tire size you plan to use.
    If ya plan to haul much ,I'd use the heavier springs.
    Jus my 2c

15. PonyExpressRider

Either wheel/tire combo should work for you... After market Argent Steel wheels are available... check Dearborne Classic. Not sure they are available in 15's... but maybe.

You will probably find that Torino Wagon rear springs will fit your needs! I had to locate the lower shock mounting plates for mine, they came off of a wagon. If you have time, might try the Torino/Cobra blog... Got plenty of help there as well...

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/

Dearborne classics also has the bushings...

CJPony, and National Parts Depot may have then as well!