Wheel Well Trim ‘72-‘76

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts Wanted' started by Jeff B., Oct 9, 2018.

1. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In First Gear

I have a 1974 Ranchero that I’ve put tons of time and money into over the past 12 years. Among many other things I have replaced all the bed trim with NOS. Off and on over the years I have searched for replacement aluminum wheel well trim to replace the bent and dented trim I have now. I would happy with used in very good condition if it can be found, or NOS if the price is what I can call reasonable. It seems this trim is the “holy grail” of parts and pieces for this body style. Does anyone have a handle on where to find these? Thanks in advance!

2. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I'm going to suggest three alternatives to finding and purchasing replacement pieces.

1. Remove the ones you have and go without. You might grow to prefer that look.

2. Repair and refurbish the ones you have. There are plenty of tutorials on restoring aluminum and stainless trim. With practice, you should get proficient at it.

3. Do both of the above and sell your restored originals. You will be knowledge and money ahead.

3. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In First Gear

Thanks for your comments. I actually prefer the look with trim, at least on this particular vehicle. I put a bit of effort into refurbishing mine many years ago and they came out better, but not up to the standard I’m looking for. I might have to put more time into them someday. I’ve been looking for only 12 years!

4. sportscape

sportscape In Second Gear

Did you consider professional restoration? You may have someone local, just get reviews or see work first. This place is well known and a little pricey. http://www.shineonmetrim.com
    I did my own,to get a great shine takes patience and redoing things until you get the hang of it. Also get quality buffing wheels

5. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In First Gear

Until now I hadn’t put a lot of thought into my attempting restoration. I might try that after finishing the interior upgrade I’m preparing to do.