Wheel Well Trim ‘72-‘76

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts Wanted' started by Jeff B., Oct 9, 2018.

1. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

I have a 1974 Ranchero that I’ve put tons of time and money into over the past 12 years. Among many other things I have replaced all the bed trim with NOS. Off and on over the years I have searched for replacement aluminum wheel well trim to replace the bent and dented trim I have now. I would happy with used in very good condition if it can be found, or NOS if the price is what I can call reasonable. It seems this trim is the “holy grail” of parts and pieces for this body style. Does anyone have a handle on where to find these? Thanks in advance!

2. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I'm going to suggest three alternatives to finding and purchasing replacement pieces.

1. Remove the ones you have and go without. You might grow to prefer that look.

2. Repair and refurbish the ones you have. There are plenty of tutorials on restoring aluminum and stainless trim. With practice, you should get proficient at it.

3. Do both of the above and sell your restored originals. You will be knowledge and money ahead.

3. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

Thanks for your comments. I actually prefer the look with trim, at least on this particular vehicle. I put a bit of effort into refurbishing mine many years ago and they came out better, but not up to the standard I’m looking for. I might have to put more time into them someday. I’ve been looking for only 12 years!

ForistellFord likes this.
  4. sportscape

sportscape In Second Gear

Did you consider professional restoration? You may have someone local, just get reviews or see work first. This place is well known and a little pricey. http://www.shineonmetrim.com
    I did my own,to get a great shine takes patience and redoing things until you get the hang of it. Also get quality buffing wheels

5. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

Until now I hadn’t put a lot of thought into my attempting restoration. I might try that after finishing the interior upgrade I’m preparing to do.

6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-3Gran...169520?hash=item3b24a9aab0:g:HE8AAOSwx9lcDGcl
    650.00 +75.00 shipping

7. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

$725 is a LITTLE over my budget! It’ll be interesting to watch and see if they go for that amount though.

8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Rear wheel opening for Ranchero is different - bottom line, these won't work for Ranchero quarter trim.

TestDummy likes this.
  9. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

Didn’t notice the Gran part of the description!

10. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I don't think Gran matters, it is the design of the rear wheel wells that matter. Dan will correct me if I am wrong. If I recall for those years, Gran was the fancier front end and probably more options. All the Rancheros of that vintage were based off the Grans. I've never seen a regular Torino on a Chero (that wasn't grafted on after the fact).

Torino:

[​IMG]

Gran Torino:

[​IMG]

And of course, Elite...

[​IMG]

You probably knew all this.

11. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

We did, but cool pics. Station wagon rear trim should work, but probably rarer than Ranchero trim. I think that Elite needs more chrome.

Jeff B. and ForistellFord like this.
  12. ForistellFord

Yeah that wheel well trim just isn't thick enough!

13. TestDummy

Should be 80% bright work, 20% paint.

14. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

No, I didn’t know all of that. I thought Gran indicated (among other things) there was the chrome lower body side molding. The Gran rear wheel moldings won’t fit Ranchero due to that. Same for front wheel moldings too I believe. Never too old to learn something.

15. ForistellFord

I'm pretty sure the base Torino did not have trim, yes.

16. andrewok1

Dan 100 % correct in todays world of wheel well trim NOS -is getting to be unheard of, buy keep the 2 fronts sell the rear trim guys on the torino sites will eat them up fast- EASY OF OFF THE REARS

17. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear

Not a bad plan except the price being asked is only for a set of rears... and the fronts wouldn’t fit either due to the rocker panel molding on the Gran Torinos... seems Ranchero are model-specific, maybe shared with the station wagon from what was shared above

andrewok1 likes this.
  18. TestDummy

This looks like a Ranchero with 4 doors and a camper top, no?
    [​IMG]

19. andrewok1

SORRY , DIDNT mean to upset the troops I totally misread will keep a eye out for rear trim JEFF

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Jeff B. likes this.
  20. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Jeff B. likes this.