wheels, 65 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by neil brown, May 11, 2019.

1. neil brown

neil brown In First Gear

My Ranchero has 16 inch Explorere wheels on it, but i'd like to change to 15" ARE fivespokes, I'm thinking 6's on the front and 7's on th back, will 7's fit? It has an Explorer back axle.

Thanks

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

a great choice yes the 7 should work

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have 15" AR Torq Thrusts on mine, but went with 6" all the way around so they can interchange if needed. 7's may work too, but I'm running the stock 8" rear end, so the width dimensions may not compare to yours. Here's the 30mm clearance on my rears. No rubbing, loaded or unloaded.

IMG_0917.JPG

4. neil brown

neil brown In First Gear

thanks, thought i'd found a couple of 7's, but theyre 5 on 4.75, oh well, keep looking.

the rear fender lip on mine has allready been 'modified' to clear the 16's

5. beerbelly

Hey 5.0, does the Explorer use the small or large bolt pattern?

6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

7. beerbelly

Thanks Andrew. New avatar huh?

8. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice rotisserie Andrewok.

9. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome Neil!Be aware if that 8.8 rear has explorer rotors/calipers,15" wheels may rub!Test fit em before you purchase...

neil brown likes this.
  10. neil brown

neil brown In First Gear

Really! Thats a pain, I was just about to pull the trigger on them, i'll have a proper look tomorrow. Do you mean the spokes on the caliper, or the rim? They'll be the D's, which in theory are for disc brakes.
    Anyone know what the offset is on the Explorer 'Teardrop' wheels? I saw on an Explorer forum that they are neutral, so centered, but the link andreok1 posted would suggest otherwise. My fenderlips have been butchered to get the rims on, and still rub, so i'd like more clearance, ARE's appear to offer that based on Explorer wheels being neutral.

11. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Larger diameter of disc with caliper may cause caliper interference with inside 15' wheels.I tried some 15" mags on the rear MKVII with 8.8
    and calipers rubbed on inside on wheel.Not sure if explorer has same brakes,but better to measure twice and buy once..MKVII wheels have 5"
    backspace on 7'X16 wheel.Measure the space between caliper and inside of wheel you have now and do the math comparision of new 15" wheel.

12. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Fourth Gear

I had a Ranger that I put a 8.8 w/discs from an Exploder on...no problems with 15" Ranger wheels, BUT, always good to ck/measure if you can... rear suspension almost done.jpg

13. RancheroRandy

I have 11.25"s rear discs on my '65 and 7"x15" 3.75 BS American Racing Torq-Thrust Ds that fit with plenty of room but it's on a 9" rear end so that can change things in the mix... 225.60.15 25.6 inch diameter.jpg

neil brown likes this.
  14. neil brown

neil brown In First Gear

They look very nice Randy.
    I dont really know where to go from here, without a wheel I cant get any measurements apart from the offset, and if I buy a wheel, and it doesnt fit, a supplier over here is unlikely to take it back as it will be a special order. These Explorer wheels have got to go tho..

15. neil brown

neil brown In First Gear

Looking at buying them, finally. I would like to run narrow white walls, being in the UK I’m restricted on size to 165 x15 on the front. Is this too narrow? What is stock width/tyre section? Thanks

16. beerbelly

Neil, my shop manual says the standard tire for a 1965 6 cylinder Ranchero is 6.45 x 14, and a V8 is 6.95 x 14. Those translate to 175 and 185 using this chart:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.jsp

I first tried 175's on mine, but thought they looked too narrow, so I went with 195's. But then, we have no restrictions on tire width.

17. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I think I'm running 185s in the front on my '64. The PO originally had 205s in front, but it has manual steering, and he found it too difficult to steer at slow speeds, so he went narrower.

Joseph

18. neil brown

neil brown In First Gear

Thanks, I’ve found some 185 65’s, so I’m going this route. I’ll post a pic when they’re finally all on. Thanks for all your input.

19. RancheroRandy

I always kinda find it funny people having "trouble" with manual steering and tire size! I lost my right arm/shoulder (dominant) 6 years ago and have never had any problem steering my cruck, whether my '62 or currently my '65...if someone does they certainly need to do some shoulder strengthening exercises...sorry, I "used" to be a physical therapist and still get a little perturbed when people say the "can't" do something....

20. RancheroRandy

Or get one of these.... ;)

Attached Files: