When preventive maintenance smacks you in the face or starter problems

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Shok, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

the starter that came with the ranchero when I bought it was functioning but sometimes would seem slow, so to prevent getting stranded I replaced it.
    Fast forward a few months and the new starter spins but doesn't engage, some tapping got it working but I can't trust it. I still have the other starter, can anyone recommend a kit to just refresh it myself? It may just need to be blown apart and cleaned but if a kit is not super pricey I'd give it a shot.
    I'm gonna search Amazon in a bit since I have gift credit there.
    It's a 72 with a 302.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Why not remove all doubt by upgrading your rig's starter to a permanent magnet gear reduction (PMGR) starter? I did it on my rig, and I'll locate the thread and post the link. The older design starters literally struggle to engage because the motor draws so much amperage; the PMGR design cuts normal motor amp load in about half, so the Bendix unit inside has more amperage to keep it pulled and engaged.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Might be something for further down the road, for now healthy stock will be fine.

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

A slow starter is often not the starter.
    Make sure your mecanical advance is in good working order, then check your timing with a timing light. It should be less than 15 degrees advanced at idle, yet more than 6.
    Then check your cables, and do a cranking voltage test. Both at the battery and at the starter. The voltage should not go below 9V, and should be within 1/2 volt between the battery and the starter readings. If the battery reads below 9V when cranking it is either discharged or bad.
    If the voltage differs by more than 1/2 volt, retest at the different battery connections until you find the source. The starter solonoid can cause problems like this also.
    If all the above checks out, THEN look at the starter.

One can save themself a lot of trouble by figuring out what the problem is before buying and installing new parts.
    That is, of course, unless one has unlimited time and money.

6. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Thanks I checked that at the time except for the timing which I did not look at.
    The old starter was occasionally slow, didn't matter if it was cold or hot, and just slightly slower, if I didn't have ocd I probably would not have noticed.

The new starter spun consistently until the recent hiccup. I found a kit on Amazon so I'll order it and strip down the old starter and if it looks good I'll keep the kit on the shelf, lord knows I'll get a car that needs it.