Where to begin

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by HVAC22, Feb 6, 2019.

1. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

Great insight pmrphil, everyone seems to be on the same path. I haven't broken down an engine in along time but I feel I can handle the head removal and possible gasket replacements. If it ends up being worst damage I will carry to an engine builder I know that has been building motors for drag racing for 35 years. I would like to look at converting to 4v and increasing hp over the 400 hp range. He says a head exchange and few other items and it came produce well over 400hp. Thanks again for the input!

2. HVAC22

Thanks cbolt, your right. Hoping the story about motor is true and I can do a some what simple repair. Not sure where the tranny is leaking but its not as bad as I originally thought. The power steering gear box is where the most fluid is coming from, badly! So another rebuild item, I rebuilt the one on my 69 Ranger so I think I can do this one if I can find a kit. The minor mechanical work I think I can handle, the floor pans and body work I have never attempted. Got a feeling these will kill my budget! :(

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  3. HVAC22

Thanks, I have never done any body work so I proably need to just let that go.Being I want to go back with the black color it is going to have to be right. Hopefully the engine story will be true and I can do a simple repair and get it runnng so I can drive it. I come home everyday and see it on the jack stands and the desire to just drive it is driving me insane!! :) I really appreciate your advise. Love that you guys on this site care as much about the car owners almost as much as the Ranchero's!:rolleyes:

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  4. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

You are welcome they were intended with your best interests. Given a similar circumstance with a non running motor of dubious pedigree I would consider the following. Pull the motor, send it out to someone you trust who can talk with you reasonably about it as opposed to the "when were done we'll tell you what we did" crowd. Or if you are mechanically inclined pull it, strip it and see what you see. While the motor is out. Drop the trany and driveshaft, get a pressure washer and blast all the nasty bits off. Spray on some rust inhibitor to the rusty / holey bits and evaluate what to do next. At worse you can spray your engine bay and drive tunnel w/o screwing up the motor, look at things that are hard to see with the motor in. Evaluate and repair as needed. All while waiting for your motor. It didn't run before so take advantage of it. The only thing worse than a great car with a blown motor is a great motor with a car that is blown.

When you get the motor back, bolt it in fire it up and see if the tranny is an issue. Between you me and the fence post look at your vacuum modulator valve on the FMX as well as the vacuum tubing. I'm still trying to clean up all the tranny fluid that leaked out of it from those two suspects after throwing $$$ at trans pan cover gaskets etc. If there is reddish fluid in your vacuum tree its your modulator valve.

It's a process, a project and a passion. Enjoy it but plan it out if possible. Be prepared for set backs, sometimes they are expensive and keep your eye on the long line. Everything you do noe is something that doesn't have to be done later.

Cheers,

Doc

5. HVAC22

6. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

CAR CLUB?

There is a lot of experience in car clubs... A car club guy owned the Sand blasting franchise that did my nooks and crannies! After that, took the car over to another car club members shop, where we replaced a floor panel, straightened some metal, and then put seal on the car from front to back. Cost? About $400 for the sand blasting, the cost of the sealant, and some labor helping him on his projects!

7. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You may be able to find a reasonably priced p/s gearbox and install it vice the rebuild. I am sure someone has done this with one from a compatible vehicle found in a salvage yard however I am not the one to ask about which parts from which vehicles will fit your application.

Regarding the floor pans, that is a perfect place to learn to weld, and the floor pans themselves are available and inexpensive, save for the cubby area. I got a crash course on welding from a neighbor, purchased the floor pans I needed online, and got mine done. Are the welds perfect? Nope, but covered with sound proofing, carpet and jute material they look great!

Not only are car club guys a good resource and most are willing to help, but I have found car guys you meet at the local cruise-ins are also a valuable resource when it comes to help in the garage. Heck if I were closer I would have already offered to come diagnose and repair that engine of yours.

8. HVAC22

That sounds very reasonable for that service. Need to see who offered that near me!

9. HVAC22

Will the gearbox from the 78-79 models work in my 73. Scrap yard I called today said he had a 78 Ranchero come in Monday. Think I will check it out tomorrow.

10. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Short answer - I don't know. There were a couple of P/S gears used, one a Ford design, another that was a Saginaw. I don't recall they were substantially different in mounting arrangement so it may.

If you go and if the '78 has good park/turn signal lights (front) snag them if you can get them inexpensively - those thar thangs are like gold...

11. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Please go and do take pics. Some of us are know to road trip for parts. Looking for split bench seats and power windows / door locks / door cards here. All things interior.

Cheers,

Doc

12. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

steering boxes will work 1972-1979 doesn't matter brand at all ... some say Saginaw box is better than Ford - get the pitman arm

13. HVAC22

Will do

14. HVAC22

Put the camera in the truck so I wouldn't forget.

15. HVAC22

Thanks! Surely glad you told me that.

16. HVAC22

I love going to this yard, I tell my wife I'm going to auto cementary. She knows I'll be gone for hours. I have pulled alot of Jeep parts there. Independent owner, think he has 70 acres.
    He stopped me one day as I was leaving the yard and said " I been watching you on yard camera and saw you closing hoods, doors, truck lids, windows on my vehicles". I said yea,it pisses me off that people come out here get their few parts and then leave the vehicles open to ruin other good parts. He said thanks, you are welcome to visit yard anytime without signing in. Has let me pull parts after hours and drive my truck in yard. That beats having to push a wheel barrow over all those acres. Very few get that honor from him.

17. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I got a rebuilt ford box (2 bolt)from summit.Was cheap and worked fine.Saginaw box has 4 bolts on cover plate.Make sure you replace rag joint.
    Look at the floors,may luck out with some pieces.Big front and rear anti sway bars are a plus as well. I love wandering around a good yard with old iron!None here in the desert...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-27-6541?rrec=true

18. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

HVAC where abouts in NC are you, I'm heading down to FL in March to partake of some good heavy metal parts. Being respectful pays dividends. It's what you do when no one is watching (that you know of) that is the definition of your character.

Cheers,

Doc

pmrphil likes this.
  19. HVAC22

That's inexpensive, alot less than the time it took me to learn to rebuilt the one on the 69 Ranger I had but I did gain that knowledge which is priceless.

20. HVAC22

I'm east of Raleigh, Wilson