Which Engine Oil for 1977 351M/400 ?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by schluese, Dec 20, 2018.

1. schluese

schluese In First Gear

Which oil do you recommend for a 1977 351M / 400 engine? 100.000 miles

I have read a lot about ZDDP, but only for older engines. Can I use that?

With 10 W 40 the pressure was a bit low. With 20 W 50 with cold engine about half of the display, warm at not quite a quarter.

Is the oil pump too weak? Is a stronger one to recommend? Which?

Thank you very much

2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

i use 10w 40 Or 20 w 50 in my 351 c\
    i suggest a mechanical gauge hooked up to tell true reading under hood or permanently under dash SOUNDS like your gauge is reading but knowing correct , would be GOOD advice, welcome to the site -- ANDY

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I to like Valvoline but I own one of their shops so i'm biased, but you can use whatever brand you prefer, just add a bottle of zinc additive to protect your cam and lifters.

5. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Boy, I thought I was the only one that used the Valvoline VR-1 oil. The first time I used the synthetic in my 352FE, I was really surprised when it poured out blue! I got it because of the high zinc content, and the FE is also a flat-tappet engine. Now, I'm also using it in the 289. Kinda pricey, and more difficult to find, but I'll keep using it.

Joseph

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

7. colnago

I got the $ynthetic for the 352, and the conventional for the 289. Next oil change, I'll probably go with $ynthetic for the 289.

Joseph

8. schluese

schluese In First Gear

It is not so easy to get VR1 10W-30 in Germany.

9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Can you buy a bottle of zinc additive at your parts store, if so you can use your choice of 10 W-30.

10. schluese

schluese In First Gear

I found VR1 20W-50 at a german onlineshop.

In USA the "High Zinc" is written on the bottle, not so in Europe. Thanks to google, it them to be the same ZDDP level.
    I wrote to valvoline to ask for further information.

I will tell you the answer.

The Ranchero is not my daily rider, only for summer and so 20W-50 will be ok. I´m using 20W-50 on my Harley too, there are no probs.

Thanks and greets,

Jörg

Merry x-mas and a happy new year to all.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  11. schluese

schluese In First Gear

First I will take of the oilpan because i need a new seal and will clean all. Then i will check the pressure again and by an mechanical gauge.

Thanks

12. colnago

Wow, that's a great price! I think I paid $8/qt for the conventional (I think $9.50/qt for the synthetic). The only place I could get it was NAPA.

Joseph

13. Gregory Cummings

Gregory Cummings In Second Gear

so what happened to good ole all american standard 30w. I've been using it for years. However my 79 chero 351/400M 2V just started getting noisy lifters and valves (sounds like), only under load (applied accelerator). I've got all three noise (ticking, tapping and a little knocking(sometimes)). I was thinking my oil pump my be getting weak. How can I test the oil pump. oil pressure reads ok (dash board dial type). Smooth and quit on the straight/level road. oil level is ok.

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Hate to sound repetitive but flat tappet motors have to have zinc in the oil or you have to add it.

15. Gregory Cummings

Gregory Cummings In Second Gear

ok, I'll try it. which oil have zinc in them.

16. colnago

When I went looking, everyone had their opinion on the best oil(s) to use. On my truck site, we would call them "oil wars." You'll probably have to do your own research, and find the "right" oil to match your price/performance requirements. For me, it's the VR-1 synthetic. For some, it's Amsoil, or Rotella, or Mobil-1, or using an additive, or converting to roller cam/lifters and using dino oil.

There's no right answer, only compromises.

Joseph

17. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Rotella worked well on my 400 anchor.
    0c157b28-4bb8-4290-af47-b63e2246b250_1.e533c5e9e521ab5121ea8cbf2f2be9d3.jpeg

18. DeepBarney

DeepBarney In Second Gear

I run Rotella (now T4) in my motorcycles and Ranchero. Per volume it's cheap and it has a pretty good additive pack. Might still want a bottle of zinc additive to be on the safe side.

19. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I read that Rotella used to be one of the few oils with sufficient zddp for flat tappet cams, but that they changed the formula and it no longer has enough? Do you know if this is true?

20. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I answered my own question with a quick search: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...otella-t4-for-flat-tappet-engines#Post4439352

This post is, evidently, from a Shell employee...says there's around 1200ppm in the T4 and that it's the same as it was in the "T" formula. T4 is what I run in my Duramax....but I think it's roller cam.