Which LED tail/brake light bulbs?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Burnout, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Burnout

Burnout In Second Gear

Hi, I would like to switch my incandescent tail/brake light bulbs for LED's. Who makes a good, bright, direct replacement bulb? Years ago I tried this with another vintage car but was unhappy with the dim LED's not even being as bright as the stock bulbs. I'm hoping that technology has improved.
    Thanks.

2. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

you will probably need some no load flashers to make your turn signals and emergency flashers work.

3. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Try 'superbrightleds.com'. They are not the cheapest, but they are bright and I haven't had to replace any of them. I have bought bulbs for 3 vehicles from them. I also changed the flashersto an electronic one. Be sure to buy leds the same color as your lenses.

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I was extremely pleased with Putco lighting, incredibly bright, and not too pricey ($20-30 depending where you find them) I have them in both of the wife's MG's, my 64 Sprint, and my 67 Ranchero. I made the mistake of trying Sylvania bulbs - pure garbage, the stock bulbs were brighter.

5. Burnout

Burnout In Second Gear

Thanks, That's just what I was looking for. The internet is full of LED bulbs and some of them make some pretty fantastic claims! It's good to get some advice about a brand that you've had experience with and are satisfied with the product.
    Thanks again.

6. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Also try to match the color of the bulb to the color of the lens of the lamp. Makes a difference.

pmrphil likes this.
  7. Snaggerbob

Snaggerbob In Second Gear

I have a IMG_1840.JPG lso used superbriteleds and highly recommend them.

8. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Third Gear