White Face Gauges

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by HuevosRanchero, Mar 5, 2008.

1. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

looks good! is that one of those dash caps? I used one as well and the grain looks familiar.

2. john777

john777 In Fourth Gear

no. i got it on ebay, its the entire dash!

3. HuevosRanchero

good find, they are hard to come by without dents or cracks. The dash "cap" worked out pretty well in mine but i'd like to find one of those leather t-bird ones and dye it black at some point.

4. john777

john777 In Fourth Gear

I had all the lights in the cluster changed for new ones. When I picked the car up, one of the blinker indicators was not working and now the other one is out. Two bad bulbs? Did I put the wrong ones in? GE lights in the little box, 10 per box?

5. HuevosRanchero

i wouldnt think you would have two bad ones. Could be that the sockets for the bulbs are a little loose which sometimes happens with replacement. I would guess not making good contact...might night need a little cleanup of the contact area and some creative wiggling to get the sweet spot..I experienced a little of this problem the first couple of weeks with my new leds but the lights have been steady now for a couple of years..

6. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

use your wife or gf,s fingernail polish,,, they have some great colors:D

7. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Here is a tag along question to this if anyone can give some help. I finally got a GT cluster like this for my 78 and have ordered these as well. By the way this thread is a mountain of help to this process, but I saw that the guys that make these also make an LED replacement bulb to go along with them. I just wanted to ask if anyone has used them or found a much better quality LED light that fits. Here is what I am looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMBER-4-point-194-style-LED-replacement-bulb-QTY-1-/360189793188?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item53dcfc13a4

They seem pricey to me so if anyone has an alternative let me know.

8. ezyalb

ezyalb In Third Gear

good work, if only my gauges would work id do the same thing

9. HuevosRanchero

there are a bazillion choices on ebay...ive even seen some at the local parts store these days

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=194+led+bulb
    lot of price variance..rule of thumb...the more points/leds the better....single point isnt near bright enough. I ended up buying some 5 point bright white leds if I remember correctly.

10. HuevosRanchero

what year is yours again?? I think that some of the roundbody falcons instrument panels interchange with the early mustang...some nice options there if so.

11. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

hint hint,,, your wife has some nice fingernail polish,,, many colors to choose from,,,,:D

12. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

couldnt you just use the new led bulbs an not change the face?

13. HuevosRanchero

if you just want more light..less heat..then yes! I just found the gauges not very readable at night and prefer the white face in late model cars I have driven.

14. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

i just need more lite,, right now im on 1 candle power:eek:

15. parts4me

Yes this is a how too thread. And how do you modify to put double bulbs in? Also HR what company did you buy from?

16. HuevosRanchero

honestly dont remember who I bought...probably from whoever was cheapest on epay at the time...shipped in from Hong Kong! Just made sure they were 5 point...the company making the decals sells 4 point leds..which are probably ok...5 bux a pop adds up quickly tho. :eek:

17. Stylin'70GT

Stylin'70GT In Second Gear

Hei, er du i Norge nå? Eller er du utflyttet til USA? I just moved home to the States after 20 years in Norway.

18. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Where in Norway where you living, just curious :cool::D

19. Stylin'70GT

Stylin'70GT In Second Gear

From 2000-2011 I was living at Høyenhal up by Ryen just east of Oslo S. Before that Grorud, and Sandvika. How about you?

20. parts4me

I didn't know if everyone knew this or not but this company makes these white face overlays for standard clusters now as well for the 72-73 style.