Will an AOD Fit in a '64?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by colnago, Mar 4, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I was all gung-ho about putting in a 302 with an AOD into my '64, then I got wondering if an AOD will physically fit into the existing tranny tunnel. I currently have a 289/C4 combo.

Joseph

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

yes but requires cross member mods

3. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Fourth Gear

Yep, the trans tunnel brace that the trans mount bolts to needs to be removed....I think mine must had an AOD at onetime or a PO was thinking about because when I went to look to see what would be involved to remove it, it was gone...good surprise!

4. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I did a quick Google search, and found a zillion C4-to-AOD kits in the $500+ range (this is for an all-inclusive kit, though). There does seem to be some rear support in the kit, so I was expecting it would be bolting up to the existing C4 mount??? My biggest concern is if I had to modify any of the sheet metal. The rest should be easy-peasy ... right?

I dunno. I keep getting these wild ideas about what I want to do with/to my '64. I've just gotta settle down and decide. After all, Mama's not made of money, and the main reason she let me buy a new toy is because it was complete enough to give me time for the honey-do list.

Joseph