Will's 1960 Ranchero Project

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by billyons, Jun 27, 2010.

1. billyons

billyons In Fourth Gear

I found my beauty on CL. It been sitting since 1995 so needs a LOT of work, but the body was really straight. The seller was asking $500. When I called to offer him $400, he said that he wants the thing out of his site and offered it to me for $200. I said OK.

I have always wanted a round body Falcon and I just couldn't pass on this one.

This is what it looked like when I bought my first Ranchero
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the engine
    [​IMG]

As mentioned, this car has been sitting for 15 years. I popped off the valve covers and this is what I found:
    [​IMG]

This is the engine now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, the interior is really nasty:
    [​IMG]

It has new floor panels, but they were installed with sheet metal screws and silicone. When I get to that point, I'll weld the panels in place.

New front suspension:
    [​IMG]

Sitting on its own wheels
    [​IMG]

I just received the steering components and will install them in a week or 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

Sweet find..... with a great price. enjoy your project. I sure do enjoy mine.

3. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

very cool looking project. I like that the car is solid. If that car where here sitting outside for 15 years there would be nothing worth fixing.

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Looks good I had a few round body parts including the inside windshield trim and door panel trim up for auction this week..they end in a few min though

5. steeread

steeread Guest

Is one of your pics an original 221? I've heard of the Falcon V8 but never seen anything smaller than the 260.

6. billyons

billyons In Fourth Gear

Same engine, only changed the valve covers and used 2 cans of Gunk to clean 'er up. The 144 I6 was the only engine available in 1960.

7. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

work looks great! you are making good progress...gonna really fly when she is mobile!

8. billyons

billyons In Fourth Gear

Revelation

urgh!! I found out today that you cannot install zerk fittings on the upper control arm that has already been installed. At the time I put everything together, I noticed I would not be able to lube the UCA with the zerks that came with the parts. So I left them off. I read that using s 90' fitting would solve that problem... blah, blah, blah. You can see where this is leading.

The Sliver Lining: Well I did want to take a little off the front springs and install a Falcon Parts export brace anyways.

I keep telling myself it'll be worth it.

9. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

Back in the day it was common to cut holes to grease the upppers. Im not sure on your body style, but in this pic you can see where the holes was torched out to gain access.

[​IMG]