Window parts

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by TomH, Feb 11, 2010.

1. TomH

TomH In Third Gear

I have found many sites that make after market window regulators and parts for so many "classic" cars & trucks, but does anyone have a source for the Rancheros. I want to "tighten up" my windows on my 74. Oh still would like to find a clutch pedal assm for my conv., anybody got one they want to get rid of?

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I don't think you need to rebuild the majority of your window parts - the major cause of looseness in my experience is a pair of anti-rattle clips that are supposed to be in the lower glide. Now - this is the funny part. Note in the sketch below that there is no part callout for a base part number of 223A58 in the Torino/Ranchero Sketch:

[​IMG]

Note the parts listing, applies to Torino/Ranchero (B) models, and Thunderbird (S) models:

[​IMG]

Note the red circles for the Thunderbird in the sketch below:

[​IMG]

I can't tell you the number of Torinos, Rancheros, and Thunderbirds from 1972 to 1979 that I've been inside the doors and found those anti-rattle clips have fallen out and are lying in the bottom of the door. If those are installed virtually all looseness is taken out of the window. Have seen many folks that have ordered new glides and window parts and it hasn't fixed their problem, but when they get the pair of those clips they have been able to fix their loose windows. Suggest you see if you can locate 4 of those or fabricate something that will replace them before you spend money replacing parts that won't fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  3. YAMAHAMER

YAMAHAMER In Second Gear

Thanks 72GTVA I need to check those on mine as well.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

72 Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    I have been searching for the solution to my loose windows since I got the car, and have only seen the first picture you posted, not the second.

5. 72GTVA

I haven't been able to get the D2OZ 65223A58 A anti-rattle clips anywhere for years, and have made up the gaps in the lower guide by using 4 cable ties with little strips of cable tie bonded to the tie with PVC cement to make up the thickness needed. Those clips do wear and I've seen them paper thin and even completely worn through, sometimes mere remnants are left behind if you can find anything at all. The cable tie solution isn't perfect and routine periodic maintenance is needed that includes lubing up the tube and replacing the anti-rattle clips or cable ties. FWIW.

And for those that need to know, the '72 era T-Bird and the Torino/Ranchero use the same parts for both guides and the clips. AFWIW.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  6. TomH

TomH In Third Gear

thanks Dan, I will find a way to fix the problem. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I take it those clips are not produced by anyone in the after market business.?

7. TomH

TomH In Third Gear

Dan, what about 21760 and 22380, do they aid in keeping the glass tight, aligned and traveling in place, are they avail. after market?

8. 72GTVA

21760 are stops - they limit the downward and upward range of the window. The 22380 are adjusted to position the glass angle as it rests against the weather strip when the window is fully up and the door is closed. I've not been able to find them new or reproduced.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  9. TomH

TomH In Third Gear

windows

has anyone coverted the manual windows to power windows using the Colibri universal setup from electric life? Price is not to bad. I'm getting lazy in my old age and sliding across that wide bench seat to wind down the window just doesn't cut, beside bucket seats and 5-speed conversion is high on my wish list, wish someone had a clutch pedal assm. they wanted to get rid of, heck the pedal alone would be just fine. I know 72, I must be patient, i'm trying.

10. Bob Jones

Bob Jones In Third Gear

Commander Dan:
    Could you shoot me an e-mail with those two pictures attached. I'd most appreciate it as I'm in the process of fixing a 72 GT and a 78 500. My e-mail is bob.jones@hll.af.mil or rohojo1@aol.com.
    Thanks
    Bob J.

11. 72GTVA

Email sent to both addresses as requested. Last time I had an *.af.mil account it wouldn't let pictures through...

12. 72GTVA

Carl (5.0 Chero) and I have been discussing this at some length in the back ground - Carl noticed in one of his salvage yard expeditions that around the '77 and later time frame some of the windows have a different lower guide which doesn't seem to have as much slop as one of the earlier types that require the anti-rattle clips. He also researched his parts books and shows a replacement lower guide that doesn't call for the clips. This might be a solution, replacing the guides with the later model part. Carl hasn't had a chance yet to try substituting the later part design into his '73 but he will let us know if it worked and if it helps remove the looseness of the earlier design. Stay tuned.

TomH - I have no experience with the Colibri universal setup, sorry.

13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Well It turns out the 77 and the 76 are the same mine seemed to a lot more wear on them that the 77 thunderbird one I got from the wreaking yard.

I pulled apart a virgin 73 door I had here and the guide looks the same but I do not see any clips or the remnants of any?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The window stabilizer were shot on mine
    [​IMG]

these press tightly to keep the window against a rub strip on the outside window fuzzy

[​IMG]

and this rub strip is not on the repop windo fuzzys...

14. 72GTVA

This is a picture of 4 of the anti-rattle clips, aligned to permit viewing of the four dimensions, a dime is for size reference:

[​IMG]

They would slide down into the guide on the outboard and inboard sides of the lower guide between the tube and the guide as depicted by the arrows:

[​IMG]

I've kept these in a warm, comfy place, with mood lighting and mood music, hoping they would reproduce... they seem to be as reluctant as Pandas in captivity.

15. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

I was just asking about the looseness of my driver's door window and now I discovered this post. Can these anti rattle clips be ordered from the dealer? Do I have to go to an aftermarket supplier for them. I know there are none in my Ranchero as I just had the driver's door apart a couple of weeks ago to see if I could fix the problem.

16. 72GTVA

I have been looking for new ones for years. I haven't had any luck either. You may be able to take some of the looseness out by adjusting the 22380 guides in or out. Sorry, wish I had better news...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  17. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

No need for apologies...thanks for the information. It helps, now that I have an idea of what I am looking for and at...never know I might be able to jury rig something that will work as well.

18. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Yes maybe carv some out of some teflon or similar "plastic":cool:

19. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

If someone were to make an accurate 3D model of these I can try using the 3D printer we have at work. Not the strongest material in the world though. If the demand is high enough I could use them though to make a mold and make more quality pieces.

20. billg72469

billg72469 In Fourth Gear

anti rattle clips

I would look into getting these clips remaid if I had some dim., If anyone can supply one I can look into getting these remade.