Wiper Issue

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Smile_n_jax, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Smile_n_jax

Smile_n_jax In Fourth Gear

I bought a Roberk P25 wiper delay control and can't get it to work right. Here are pics of my truck's schematics and the Roberk instruction sheet. Note the instructions only go back to '72, but the wiring and color codes match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It would seem that I have it wired correctly, but it doesn't work. If I turn the wipers on low nothing happens. If I then turn on the controller, it clicks at what seems to be the proper interval, but still nothing happens. If I turn the wipers to high, they run at high speed which is very noisy and annoying.

2. Rayell

Rayell In Overdrive

Wiring Issue

After studying the diagrams (both) It seem to me that you are going to have to cut the red wire going to the motor and connect it to the green wire, that is taped. Cut the blue wire going to the motor and connect it to the blue wire going out of the new switch. When doing this use a test light or VOM to chech for current, and amperage. Also I can not think of any reason for the red wire to go any further than the new switch.

I have not done this before but it seems logical. BB should put his input on this as he is an EE.

3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Sorry, this is out of my range -- not familiar with that particular car or the delay unit.

What I know about delay units generally .... they exploit the parking feature of the standard wiper motor [turn it off in mid stroke and it'll finish and park instead of stopping up on the windshield] -- so what they controllers do is to periodically [period set by delay knob] turn on the power for a couple seconds and then turn it off again, and the wiper motor completes the single stroke and parks.

Looking at the motor schematic itself [and guessing] I agree that the red wire is probably the one that needs to be periodically interrupted by the controller.

I don't understand that 'wiper switch' drawing -- think it's missing the rotating part that connects those various contacts.

Smile, does it work/fail the same if you turn the main wiper knob to high speed as when set to low speed? Or does your new gizmo bypass the original switch?

If you have it wired per the schematic that came with the delay unit, then maybe you should just swap the delay unit -- it could be busted.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Cut the blue wire,......NO! Not the blue wire, the red wire,....or was it the red wire with the white stripe?

I always start by checking the grounds and then pulling out the volt meter. It could be one of 50 things. It worked fine before you started hacking away, right?

5. Rayell

Rayell In Overdrive

Jax, Is the original motor in your 70 model a single speed or dual speed (high/low) unit? The diagram shows a 2 speed switch and motor. I feel that you are getting too much voltage when in the high position, causing the super fast speed and noise. kinda like a dimmer switch shorting and making both beams come on in a headlight.

Not being knowledgable about the Roberk unit, I suggest calling the maker, and talk to a tech rep.

6. Smile_n_jax

My truck has two speed wipers that worked just fine. I don't think that high speed is super fast, it's just noisy.

According to the instructions, the blue and green wires are used mostly for systems with hidden wipers.

There is no direct support. Seems Roberk has been swallowed up by Trico and they don't offer that unit on their site. I mailed them anyway and might get lucky. In the mean time I'm going to pull the unit and do some testing.

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Smile, check your email -- I just sent you a pic of that portion of the Ford wiring diagram, seems easier to understand than what you posted.

8. Smile_n_jax

Got it bb, thanx. I'll blow it up tomorrow and take a closer look. Looks like it's better than what I have.

9. Smile_n_jax

Got a quick reply from Trico along with additional instructions intended to use with imports. Strange it wasn't included in the packaging I got since it says it's for domestic and imports.

Anyway, these instructions show how to identify whether your system uses positive or negative switching, which circuits control the low and high speeds and how to connect them to the controller. Once the weather warms up a bit I'll be able to sit in the truck and get things wired up. Then it's on to my heater issues.

10. Rayell

Rayell In Overdrive

To quote a friend, " You Go Boy" :)