Wiring Woes

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by FordR500GT, Jan 6, 2019.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I finally got back to work on there cars again. After much convincing, my family finally got me to do somethi g with the CJ. It's a 1972 Ranchero GT 4V. It's very hard to crank, goes through a battery quick as hell, and I have to jump it most of the time. Nothing interior-wise works (no dash lights, no courtesy lights, gauges don't work)
    Battery isn't charging either. I don't see any real frayed wires, but I know very little about the car. All fuses are good.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

3. FordR500GT

Tach Cluster, forgot to mention that

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

do you have a wiring diagram here you go,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Carl Steinbarger likes this.
  5. FordR500GT

Crawled under the dash today, seems that cruise control add on did not do out too well. For whatever reason, the power wire was run to the hazard lights fuse, as well as the cigarette lighter. grounds were also not attached properly, burning several wires underneath.
    Considering its not charging, and the gauges do not work, maybe the cluster regulator is bad? Anyone wanna point the way? :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This has the gauge cluster, correct? You'll want to clean the red and yellow wire connections, make sure they're tight, on the back of the ammeter. then chase after the no charging underhood. The gauge has a shunt that ensures the majority of the power bypasses the ammeter so you don't let the smoke out of the wiring, and it essentially makes the ammeter a parallel circuit from a series hookup to prevent burning the wiring.

7. FordR500GT

I will check and clean the wiring . I also want to swap the clusters between my uncle's red GT and mine, to see if I have any luck

8. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, I had multiple clusters also, and it took that work (and a working ammeter) to finally get a working ammeter.

9. FordR500GT

Are there any major differences between a Torino wiring harness with the simple cluster vs the Ranchero with the tach cluster?

10. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, there is. Different connector and different wire pinout. I was looking to add the gauge cluster to my Squire without changing the harness...just the connector and pinouts, then adding the necessary wires.

11. FordR500GT

Well I have the wiring harness from that Torino, which has the simple cluster, need it for my GT which has the full gauge set, just wanna make sure of the differences between the two. Haven’t had a chance to remove them and compare the two.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  12. handy_andy_cv64

As soon as I find the diagrams, I'll let you know. But there are differences.

FordR500GT likes this.
  13. FordR500GT

Thanks Andy

14. FordR500GT

Back on this. Replaced starter. Heat from headers ruined the starter. Now the car will crank a lot faster but batteries will still die very quickly. Cables get warm very quickly as well as solenoid. Disconnected alternator, no difference. All connections are clean.

15. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

You may want to start by changing out the battery cables or at least check resistance in the cables (could be high resistance that is hidden)
    I know you mentioned connections are clean but did you clean the negative connection at the engine? And check to see if there is a secondary ground from frame to engine broken or missing.
    And as a last thought may be the starter ( even reman. could draw too much current)

pmrphil likes this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

My apologies, man, I have the '79 diagram sitting in my truck, but I stupidly forgot to send them to you. PM me an addy and I'll get them in the mail or Monday.