Woo hoo! Laptop's out of hock!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by handy_andy_cv64, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just got my Dell out of the 3-ball place, so I set up a tethered connection using my tablet, and I'm delving into a major Malwarebytes update to attempt to clean up the computer's troublez once and for all. If it doesn't work, I'll have to pay my brother's computer gal to get everything cleaned up and working.
    (NOTE: database programs like Linux and Unix, and Internet programs like Ubuntu, etc., are just not in the cards. If you prefer those programs, that's fine, it's your machine and your choice; I'm the kind of guy who'd have a Bell rotary-dial tephone if I could, simply because I stick to what's familiar/easy to and for me.)

2. handy_andy_cv64

I'll post up again once MWB is finished installing (six months out of date).

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I just want this crap to work. I don't care how, or why, it just better. When I pay for something -first the PC, and then the software, and then the internet connection - it better work, flawless.

4. handy_andy_cv64

I know how you feel. Right now, the MWB is in the 'scan file system,' and hasn't detected anything yet. But whatever the malware was that fateful day, it sure knocked me for a loop.

5. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Those old Ma Bell phones were the best
    You could beat a intruder senseless with it and then use it to call the cops.
    Try that with your cell phone

6. handy_andy_cv64

Trivia question: name the '60s toy that used the same plastic as the housings of those Western Electric phones.

Answer: The Aurora Thunderjet slot cars, in the Model Motoring sets. The original cars used a doorbell solenoid, which made a lot of heat, and that thermosetting plastic was what they chose to make the carbodies from.
    So I ran the MWB all the way through; it didn't detect anything. Big surprise there. I jumped on to the 'Net, and it shows the problem is still there. I want this fixed, but I'm going to have it professionally done. No more rooting around like I might know what I'm doing, because I don't.

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Ahhh ... I still have an email address that was good in 2015? If you'd like I'll send you a Slackware cd that will almost surely boot on your pc, and you can forget about sending your part away somewhere. Let me know. Will completely ignore whatever is on your current hard disk.

8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

BB, as an aside I have a VERY old email address.
    It ends in PacBell.net. Pacific Bell ended in 83. By then I had ISDN, but I was on line before 56K dial up was introduced. I don't remember the speed of my first connection with PacBell, I think it was an oddball number like 28.8K or 24 point something. I was using an Apple II with an yellow and black (as opposed to black and white) monochrome monitor, a huge 12" beast!
    I remember when I got the email address. I had no idea what to do with it. I didn't know but 2 people that had one and writing the header was a PIA.

9. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Well -- I think that 28.8 would have been somewhat later than 1983. Probably more like 2400 bps or similar. I recall getting a 14.4 modem (US Robotics) around 1993 xmas or something, had included with it a 5.25" diskette with the earliest days of (non-Windows) AOL. Still had to use a local phone number to get to it.

My earliest days of home puters saw me running a device just like what you'll see on War Games (the movie) -- to include the IMSAI desktop.

10. ribald1

Sounds like you were late to the game.
    Back in 72 they put a modem and terminal in my High School. It was 900 baud. There was no internet, it was a dumb terminal that connected to a main frame in downtown SD.
    AOL came about well after the market had matured. It was a big deal at the time because it allowed access to the internet to those who didn't know any programming. By then even fast food restaurants were connected.
    It was expensive back in the 80's in 84 I upgraded to a 286 with a color monitor, set me back over $5000.00. I also bought an upgraded modem that set me back another $1100.

11. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

my earliest memories are of 300baud acoustic couplers on protofax machines...those were the days.

12. handy_andy_cv64

And to think these memories came out because I mentioned the Bell System.

Hillbilly likes this.
  13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Memoirs of the Nerds?

Hillbilly likes this.
  14. handy_andy_cv64

As good a book title as any others.

15. handy_andy_cv64

OK, after consultations, I will be creating boot executable discs of a couple different programs to attempt to ensnare the remainder of the malware that isn't found from a normal search. It's gonna be a while before they will be ready, but once I run them, I'll let you know the results.

16. ribald1

Did you run rougekiller then ccleaner?
    Often the issue is not the virus, but the alterations it makes to your system.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Sooooo...I finally ponied up the cash to get the laptop taken care of, and to also transfer the files from my duly hated tablet to the laptop (it'll be a Christmas present for my brother Geoff). Down side, it cost me $90, but all my files were untouched. Thank god for small favors. Turns out, I had cleaned it all out, but the two programs I had attempted to use to clean it were fighting each other, so both were removed and excised from the registers, new programs were installed, and I'm sticking to the Win8.1. The Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't know. So please, no campaigning or anything like that. Please just share in my hapiness the nightmare's over. Thank you.

Mike, Jeff B and Basstrix like this.
  18. ribald1

Win 8.1? I feel for you.
    At least it is better than Vista.

19. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I still have my first Tablet..

[​IMG]

HuevosRanchero and RancheroRandy like this.
  20. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Glad to hear you got it all straighten out.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.