Woo hoo! Laptop's out of hock!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by handy_andy_cv64, Jul 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah. Gonna have to get used to a few things...like no automatic letter capitalization at the beginning of every sentence. And since I know about Win10's sinister underhandedness concerning advertising, I.m happy with 8.1. I do not need the latest and greatest.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Nothing sinister going on with Win10.
    Just jealous Apple and Google people who can't stand competition.

3. handy_andy_cv64

More like Google and FB people, et. al., who think they're entitled to our privacy. My youngest niece's best friend's dad is a Microsoft programmer (yeah, even he agrees that Vista was BS), and I met him earlier this year; he told me Win10 is specifically designed to gather your Internet habits to be used by advertisers. I've already seen how Android does it on this phone as well as my tablet.

4. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Is Apple any less guilty of this? I'm thinking about getting someone a tablet for Christmas....don't typically go Apple, but I feel ya on the Android (and evidently, W10) selling us out thing...

5. ribald1

It is true that if you want it to, Windows 10 will do what Apple and Google have been doing for a long time, track where you are and what you do all the time. Believe it or not, most people want thier machines to know where they are and the kinds of things they like and search for.
    The difference is that with Win10 you can turn it off by changing just one setting in the security console.
    Microsoft didn't do this for any sinister reason, they did it because most people want it. That is why they buy phones with GPS in them, they want their phone, and everyone else, to know exactly where they are all the time. Microsoft couldn't afford to lose all those people to the compitition.

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Pssst ... L.I.N.U.X. 100% open source code.

Currently running Slack at the moment.

7. ribald1

BB is correct, even a script kiddy can hack a Linux machine, why not have others use your machine too? Sharing is a beutiful thing.

8. handy_andy_cv64

So I went and bit the bullet, got a 2-year deal on Xfinity internet service, 100 Gigs/month for $35, plus $10 for the modem rental. So now I don't have to eat crow on Verizon 4GLTE anymore. Soooooo...would an authority please go ahead and lock this thread? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.