Workin on the PYL

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by 5.0 Chero, Sep 8, 2007.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

This is what I have been working on this week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

Where is the top mounting to?

3. 5.0 Chero

A 2 piece cup assembly. in Case I need to adjust hight and so I can change bag if it blows with out removing any suspension. (be able to change on side of road with hand tools and a jack) If I have to pull it back apart I will take some pics of what I made.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  4. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

Yes!

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm pretty sure a pic compressor won't work. I'm thinking some kind of air system. Carl?

6. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I have a dumb question. Why are you doing this? for ride quality? Or just for fun?

7. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

Let us know how that custom fab. job for the shocks works out. Very neat instal there. Kinda thinking about a air bag set up for mine. But thats a long way off.

8. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

I'm sure I'll get corrected, but those air bags are independently filled with a common air hose. Use for ride hieght and weight control.

9. GregoryM

GregoryM In Fourth Gear

Not trying to flame your design there but that lower shock attachment looks a bit tenuous. The strut rod is designed to take a (primarily)tension load. Your shock mount introduces a shear load, albiet near the end. Do you really want to do that? How about installing a stud on the lower control arm somewhere to accept the lower eye of the shock? Also, those small u-bolts are mild steel aren't they? There is nothing locating the lower position of the shock other than the clamping force of those u-bolts. I don't think they will stay put for long. Just my .02.

10. 5.0 Chero

Upper mount parts
    [​IMG]
    Bag mount
    [​IMG]
    Spacer
    [​IMG]
    Lower bag mount
    [​IMG]]
    Slammed
    [​IMG]
    Raised
    [​IMG]

[ September 08, 2007, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: 5.0 Chero ]

11. 5.0 Chero

using the old A/C compressor plumbed to a tank behind the seat.

All of the above........Not a dumb Question.

More or less I have enough valve to control all 4 bags separately but I have had the back hooked together for about 5 years now and it seem to ride ok.

Dodge trucks run their sway bars of the struts this should produce the same load I would think. could not really locate the lower mount any where else and have it clear all the other parts if it had a lower a arm it would have been a lot easier..
    the U bolts are temporary As is mount waiting on clamps to come in an have to pick up some heavy wall tubing to remake the lower mount.

[ September 08, 2007, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: 5.0 Chero ]

12. 5.0 Chero

Also looks like I will have to relocate the holes on the upper bag mount to move the bag in about 1/4 of an inch as it rubs the frame horn when fully inflated, :(

13. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Nice, I like it...

14. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, I like that too.

15. 5.0 Chero

Yes it the sanden style that came on the 5.0
    [​IMG]
    if you look you can see I used a K&N style air cleaner breather on the inlet

Its about 3 gal. it was a air brake tank from a big truck. if Idling it takes a min or 2 min to fill going down the highway it runs for about 5 seconds I am using a 140 off psi switch it kicks on at about 120..

I do not think the oil from the A/C side of the compressor would still be their I have been running it for about 2 years now with no problems

[ September 09, 2007, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: 5.0 Chero ]

16. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Sweeet!!! What a PYL :D :D :D

17. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Now, that's sweet. Got me thinking that's what I really want on the front of my car.

I also don't like that lower shock mount -- I think a pro welder could attach some permanent brackets without damaging the strut -- and then you could put the shock's forces directly above the strut. You might get away with it forever as you have it --

I wonder if you plan any attempt to measure how much weight each wheel is carrying? Trying to figure out how you manually set them if they are all independent.

Anybody have a strategy for determining that weight-per-wheel?

Citroen [many years ago, DS-19?] had a very interesting combination hydraulic and air suspension -- ride height and shock rate could be set by the driver while in motion.

18. 5.0 Chero

The air horns I am using are twins off of a 69 Ford F700 I Am running a 1/3 gal pony tank with the solenoid about 6 inches away from the horn will be mounted behind the tucked bumper.

[ October 01, 2007, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: 5.0 Chero ]

19. 5.0 Chero

closer to horn the better. the pony tank will be fed from the main tank behind seat. just wanted the extra volume at the horn.

20. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

If Im not mistaken the airbag itself also takes up a certain amount of the shock. I know theres a bag system where you dont need shocks at all. If its that big of a deal Im sure theres a way to fab up a dual shock set up and have them attached directly to the lower arm.