Workin on the PYL

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by 5.0 Chero, Sep 8, 2007.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Tim to be honest if I had to do over again I would use the shockwave style bag and just cut the spring pocket in the frame!!!!!!!!!

forgot to add the brake hoses in to the cost too $100 with the shockwaves I could have used the stock ones. but I would have replace those anyway when I was rebuilding the front end.

2. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

So have you thought of making a kit to sell to people?

3. 5.0 Chero

No Squire not really too much work for the return. I would rather pull parts and clean them up and sell on Ebay

airridepro.com
    lists brackets kits for rancheros.

4. 5.0 Chero

Some Updates

[​IMG]
    Bag solenoid valves

[​IMG]
    pressure switch for tank

[​IMG]
    Switch's for bags and exhaust cut outs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    got rid of rear ashtray who needs it but a light is useful

5. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

i like the light mounted on the rear of the console, damn good idea, besides nobody smokes behind the seat in a chero. do you like the bags so far?and do you think they improve the handling ? i take it your running servos on the muffler cut outs, right?........ray :cool: :cool: :cool:

6. 5.0 Chero

Still have not driven it yet ray. The cut outs are air powered. Basically air cylinders mounted to gate valves I built a couple of years ago.

7. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

cool idea. so your running a small air compressor to power the cutouts and the airbags. how large a compressor and where did you mount it?or are you running off a tank?........ray

[ December 28, 2007, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: ray55classic ]

8. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

Carl, what kind of console is that?

9. 5.0 Chero

Ray Using A/C compresser...

Triker 72 up Torino/ranchero 74/9 Tbird/Cougar Console

10. trikar

I did not know that they had power switches, or did you install those yourself?

11. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

thats a really unusual but ingenious way to do it!......ray ;) :cool: :cool:

12. 5.0 Chero

Switches are power window switches from Well I hate to say but here goes........................SAAB.............

13. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

whatever works, and looks good doing it, and i might add whatevers affordable too!!......ray :cool: :cool: :cool:

14. trikar

I thought they looked familiar, I owned a few SAAB's in the past,before they were a part of GM. My last SAAB I turned in to the States for the Smog Rebate, drove it right up to the crusher and collected a $1,000 check on the spot and went out and bought a Ranchero.

15. 5.0 Chero

thats kinda the way I feel Ray did not want to use toggle switches fro radio shack so I actually thinking of mid to late 70s GM/ Camaro power window switches when I decided to look at 2 door imports then I found the SAAB with this nice flat easy to mount panel it uses plugs in the unwanted holes so if I decide to up grade to 4 conner control of the bags I can just add 2 more switches.

16. trikar

Very nice set up! :cool:

17. 5.0 Chero

Got alignment done yesterday he did not touch/adjust the right side at all the left side caster was off by 0.9 degrees. every thing else was with in specs. Not bad for a home rebuild job and alignment with a tape measure and carpenter level.

The one in the red id the one out of spec.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2008
  18. 5.0 Chero

Some pics of the air system
    Yes I still have some clean up work to do on tubing and wire routing

The way I have it set up right now the regulators in the console control ride height. front set at about 100 psi rear at about 40 psi. The two large regulators at the tanks are dropping the 200 psi tank pressure to 150 for manual control and 140 for auto. The green 4 way valves are for manual control. If I come up to a speed bump/steep driveway etc I can raise manually to enter or go over bump and auto regulators will bleed off pressure slowly to drop it back down. it also raises automatically when the key is turned on I also added 3 more solenoid valves to to by pass auto system in both up and down modes. Also when I turn off car the tank is isolated so it dose not bleed off as fast. the air compressor comes on at 160 and shuts off at 200 pressure relief valve is 125.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  19. 5.0 Chero

more pics of the air system
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Nice work...

Nice work! Are you going to find the parts to rehang the 73 clip on the front or do the "other" conversion?