Worth changing ball joints?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GBH Jon, Apr 3, 2021.

1. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

I need to replace the top control arm bushes on my 74.....question is, is it worth replacing the top ball joint regardless of condition while I'm at it? Not sure how aftermarket parts compare? I have experience with VW aftermarket ball joints, which can bind up. I've ordered some moog ones just in case.
    Or is it a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it....... Ta......

2. The Wrench

The Wrench In Second Gear

Hi GBH Jon, if you are replacing the upper joints you may as well replace the lower one's also, they are the one's that take the most abuse in that suspension design. When I rebuilt my front end on my 73 I used all Moog Parts because I have always had good luck with them on many different vehicles. You might take a good look at the strut rod bushings , tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm for looseness . I am not trying to spend your money, just trying to help. The Wrench

3. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

MOOG sells some of the best replacement suspension parts.
    Had to buy Balljoints for our daily driver with over 100K miles on it as I did front struts and while I had it apart I noticed how sloppy the ball joints were.
    Went on Rock Auto and the top are non serviceable ball joint so had to buy complete upper control arm.
    bottom I can buy just balljoint

I had this issue on modern vehicles before at Auto Collision Shops that had to change upper control arm just for the ball joint and same when I did my 97 Ford Explorer in 2008.
    I biy as many parts I can from Rock Auto and Moog is what I look for,cost more then the cheap crap they sell but worth it and still cheaper then OEM from dealer and quality is the same or better

4. Rods N Restos

Upper are easy as they are bolt on.
    Rock Auto has Moog for upper but bottom are press in and no Moog brand listed.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...351cid+v8,1136180,suspension,ball+joint,10070
    I always buy from the Heavy Duty Category as that is their better quality and brands like AC Delco and Moog.

Before you think it AC Delco is aftermarket company not GM,yes they did provide many parts for General Motors vehicle's but I pulled out AC Evaporator core from a 73 Ford Gran Torino and guess what label said?
    This car has AC Evaporator core from factory but was surprised what the label said

Attached Files:

5. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Tie rod ends were done as soon as I acquired the vehicle, they were bad! Idler arm was done last year, strut rods are on the list as is an uprated sway bar. Bottom control bushes too...... Uppers are completely shot, so are more urgent atm.
    I guess I also need to replace springs at some point , as I've removed the AC.

6. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

I use RockAuto a lot, usually here in 4 days, which is way faster than the UK dealers. I've ordered moog ball joints and control arm bushes

7. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Convert it over to polyurethane suspension bushings while you are at it - like those from Energy Suspension.

I had to replace the rubber mounts in my '75 twice before upgrading to poly bushings. It was well worth the effort. Just heat the control arm bushing ends in charcoal and the baked rubber strips right out. The poly bushings slide in the original bushing shells after a clean up.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

9. GBH Jon

GBH Jon In Third Gear

Cheers.... I bit the bullet and reordered poly bushes.......I like a bbq, so double win

10. Rods N Restos

how does the Polyurethane bushings ride?
    I 'm afraid of a stiff ride ,plus the rubber was used to absorb some of the road impact besides the shocks and springs.
    I''m using ES Polyurethane Swaybar end link bushings but think that's where Polyurethane is important so less flex between the swaybar and control arm to control the sway better.

11. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I thought my '75 GT (factory 460) wallowed around a lot when cornering. That was greatly improved with poly suspension bushings.

Actually I had a good restoration guy replace all the rear bushings as well - a job way too tough for my limited work space.