Yard find mystery tranny

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Cullen McTaggart, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Cullen McTaggart

Cullen McTaggart In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

Hey everyone me and a few guys I work with went in on a 68 Mercury montclair it is a full car but too far stripped to be worth restoringone guy is taking a engine and trans the other parting it out im in because it came with 2 390 engines and c6 transmissions but when i looked at the tranny one is clearly a c6 it has the guitar pick looking bellhousing with ribs on the back but the other is round and Im not sure if its a c6 any ideas on what it might be it has one single 5 on the bell housing and its more round with out any ribs I don't think its an aod any other ideas.

2. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

If I recall correctly, I think the C6 for the 352/360/390 FE engines would be the round one. I don't think the guitar-pick housing will bolt up to an FE. I enclosed a graphic that should help.

Joseph

Attached Files:

TestDummy likes this.
  3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Early C6's didn't have the fins on top. The ones with fins wouldn't fit in the transmission humps of some of the earlier cars.

pmrphil likes this.
  4. Cullen McTaggart

I woukdawoattached photos but keeps telling me the file is too large

5. Cullen McTaggart

But the mystery is solved both are c6 one is for a fe and the other for a 460

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The 460 one will also fit the 429 and 351M/400.

7. Cullen McTaggart

Yeah that's what I have discovered now will a c4 bolt to the 390 or no

8. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

If you can find the appropriate bellhousing. I never could, so I stayed with the C6 on mine.

Joseph

9. handy_andy_cv64

I'm reasonably sure FE engines never had a C4 behind them, but I've been wrong before. I'd say, you'd have to contact Mustang and other Ford suppliers that had FE engines in the products they support, but even with a removable bell housing, I have doubts C4s were ever behind an FE.

10. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

From the factory, my F250 came with a 352 tied to a Cruise-O-Matic, but by the time I got it, it had a C6 from a car (long output tailhousing vs a short tailhousing used in the trucks). I could never be sure if the COM was different from the C4, but a lot of folks used the names interchangeably. I finally decided that keeping it on the road was more important than recreating it to be like it came from the showroom. I found a C6 from a '71, rebuilt it (not as bad as I had been told), and popped that behind the 352.

Joseph

11. handy_andy_cv64

The name 'Cruise-o-Matic,' IIRC, refers to the 'Cx' 3-speed auto transmissions (C3/4/5/6), so if your truck had a factory 352, I'd say the likelihood was, it had a C6 from the factory, but some vehicles had setups that surprised me.

12. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

You could be right. It could be that the term "Cruise-O-Matic" was only a marketing term. Before that, they had the "Ford-O-Matic," and I don't know anything about that. To me, the drivetrain implementations were always elusive. With the long-bed trucks, you had a short intermediate driveshaft connected to the tranny, then the long driveshaft that goes down to the rear pumpkin. In the process of swapping back to a short-tailshaft transmission, I needed a new intermediate shaft. I found that there were a bazillion different intermediate shaft lengths. I would have thought that they would have had one for each transmission option. I ended up getting one that was too long, then had my machinist shorted it to fit.

Joseph

13. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I did a quick search for bellhousings that will bolt a C4 to an FE. Yes, they do exist, but they will set you back $600+. :eek:

Joseph

14. handy_andy_cv64

Yow! That's a punch in the sack!