Yet another damn guitar build!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Sep 26, 2022.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm a big fan of Gibson SG guitars; I think it's the coolest design ever, and I've had several. But they always seemed to have a bunch of unused real estate in the lower section, just begging for something there.
    I had a Fender Jazzmaster tremolo laying around, and thought it might work there. So I bought this beat up "Maestro by Gibson" student guitar for $80 as a test mule:

20220913_122018.jpg

I routed out the location from a pattern I found online:
    20220914_110237.jpg

Fits good, and looks like it was made for it:

20220914_112446.jpg

Fiat 500 green paint, wet sanded and polished along with amber tinted neck & black headstock:

color coat.jpg 20220923_200229.jpg 20220923_200440.jpg

Almost done; I still need to level and crown the beat up frets and throw some strings on it, but it looks like it's gonna fit right in:

2nd mock up.JPG IMG_0265.JPG

Givrsum likes this.
  2. beerbelly

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After.jpg

Minotaur, Givrsum, LSChero and 3 others like this.
  3. MarkB

MarkB In First Gear

Sweet! I used a fake Bigsby on one of mine. StewMac makes a nice "Goldenage" bridge with roller saddles.

4. beerbelly

Yes, I've used Bigsbys before, but had this Jazzmaster trem laying around, and it looked right to me. The problem with the StewMac and many other roller bridges is that the stud spacing is narrower than the wraparound stoptail bridge on this guitar; I can't find a stoptail roller with the wider 3-1/4" stud spacing.
    I've decided to DIY a roller stoptail bridge, using the removable rollers on this Wilkinson bridge and mounting them on a 1/4" thick aluminum plate, drilled & tapped to accept them, and shaped to fit around the studs.

th-3763929650.jpeg

5. MarkB

MarkB In First Gear

You have tools & knowledge that I don't have. I just drill, plug, and re-drill. That I can understand & do. :)

6. beerbelly

Yes, that would have been the way to go, but I should have done that before I refinished it....I was sure I could find a roller stoptail bridge, but no luck.

7. MarkB

MarkB In First Gear

I understand. I've had to make changes "on the fly" too many times.

Here's a before & after of a kit I got recently. I wanted the case to use for another guitar, but the kit was very "funky cool". Everything was just a bit off. Pickups not quite square, bridge too far forward, etc. I managed to get everything to work right, but still look "wonky". I haven't decided whether to keep it or sell it.

Attached Files:

8. beerbelly

Hey, another green guitar! Here's a few of my own design:

big & little AstroCaster.jpg Done, front angle.jpg

Givrsum and MarkB like this.
  9. MarkB

MarkB In First Gear

Very cool! Kind of a St Vincent design, but I really like the headstock. Your own design?

10. beerbelly

Yep, and I have a copyright on the body design. I pictured it as two intersecting, stylized guitar pick shapes .

Copyright 2.JPG

11. MarkB

MarkB In First Gear

Nice! Do you sell the necks? I have an old Hondo Flying V that I need a neck for, and that would be perfect.

12. beerbelly

Sorry, no. But I can tell you it started as an Allparts PHM-T1C that I shaped. Got it at Arkansas Music Works.

IMG_0940.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  13. MarkB

MarkB In First Gear

Thanks. I bought a blank that I've shaped as the "Arrow" headstock, but I keep putting off doing the finish, since I suck at it.