Zirk fittings in the upper control arm

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by rubidox, Mar 15, 2006.

1. rubidox

rubidox Guest

I have a new Super front end kit from PST I'm going to put in my 70. It comes with straight zirk fitting for the upper control arm. I know at a minimum I'll need 90 degree fittings. My question is will a grease gun fit between the control arm and the shock tower with a standard 90 degree fitting or will I need the extended ones you can get for 196X mustangs?

Sean O – I’m calling you out here. You installed this kit a couple of years back. Any input on things I should watch out for?

Thanks all for the help. This site is an excellent find for any and all Ranchero owners. I have been reading the site for 6 months now and some of the information you give is truly amazing.

Thanks again Dan

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Dan,
    Call me out will you? You may not like this answer.
    The old coot I bought my Ranchero from torched holes in the shock towers to access the fittings (see photo). While a good idea, I would have used a hole saw and then find plugs to cap them. I am pretty sure you could get to the 90° fittings by taking of the wheel. Not sure how much clearance between the fitting and tower there is though. One of my upper control arms binds and clunks during its travel. The PST guy told me to send it back and they'll replace it. You know it's made in China so I don't understand the lack of quality (groan). It has a lifetime warranty so I am in no hurry. Not happy about it though. That's alot of work and everything is painted nice (see other photo). Hope this helps.
    What is a rubidox?

Sean

Zirc Hole

[​IMG]

Suspension

[​IMG]

3. Dan, the 90 degree zirc fittings are your best idea here. You have the same shock towers in your '70 Ranchero as I do in my '71 & '73 Mustangs. I have those 90 degree fittings in all of mine and there's no problem with clearence.
    Jim [​IMG]

4. FrogLeg

FrogLeg Guest

lol those 90deg. grease gun fittings are a pain... but on a good note if your going to buy one the mac truck this month is having a sale on the pnumatic guns. and they will definately sell to anyone that has the total amount..be carefull if they let you set up an account thought way too easy to go crazy on the toy trucks...lol...

5. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

mine as well was torched out by the previous owner. .. it works for me. I seen other guys that had a nice neat hole from probably a hole saw. [​IMG]

6. Tim70ranchero

by the way Sean, your front end is looking good ..( fer a MI car) :D :D :D

7. TestDummy

Thanks Tim. If you like my front, wait until you see my rear end. Wait a minute,....that don't sound right.
    My Ranchero was towed to a friends Saturday. It is now on a hoist and will be getting a small patch welded in the floor and a quarter panel change. I will then scrap and paint the whole bottom. You guys will love my bottom. Hold on a second, that don't sound right either.

8. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

I would delete that and start over if`n I was you Sean Ain`t none of that sounds good...LOL...
    However,We will have to wait to see the entire project truck "on th`road again"...
    Happy Wrenchin`~HAPPIER DRIVIN`...
    Each step is closer though...
    ps~We`re Prayin`fer you too Sean...
    I see you have color coded and marked all th parts you remove soas to get them back to original location?I hadn`t thought of that one...

[ March 20, 2006, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: As Is '66 ]

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Hey Sean you better watch out or you will have Colin checking out you rear end/ bottom /ass end.............

10. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

11. 70GTDave

70GTDave Guest

SEAN: This is no joke so please take me seriously!!! Several years ago (4) I had a original '68 Mustang, CAlif. Special, very rare auto and I had replaced the entire front end, upper and lower A arms, ball joints and all related parts. I was a Trained Aircraft Mech. and know what I am doing with a tourke wrench.
    Within 6 months my front end started making a strange noise. I could not locate where or what it was, until it broke! A right lower ball joint was cracking and only after the wreck was I able to see the metal fatague! The car was totaled, not to mention me ending up in the emergency room.
    DO NOT WAIT FOR THE CHINA STEEL TO CAUSE THIS ON YOUR RANCHERO.

12. Tim70ranchero

Well I got the engine compartment all blasted & repainted. now I gotta do the rear too. I sure wish I had a lift, man that would be so much easier. I cant wait to see yer pics. happy scraping ..lol.

13. rubidox

rubidox Guest

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like the standard 90 degree zirk fittings will work.

Sean thanks for the pics, and the heads up on possible bad parts.

Question for you? You had problems tightening down your upper control arms. Is this the same side you are having problems with now?

To answer your question: Rubidox is a town next to River Side CA where I purchased the first 1970 Ranchero. I had to scrap it (ranchero USA please don’t hate me) due to titling problems. I picked up something that was legal a couple of weeks later. The name stuck with second Truck.

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you new rear end.... I live in So Cal I feel comfortable saying that. [​IMG]

Dan

14. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

dave,
    can you describe the odd front end noise?
    i rebuilt my front end year and half ago on my 67 mustang and also and it seems a bit "off". my parts were supposedly from canada/usa. got em thru mustangs unlimited.
    their service sucks and i've had nothing but problems with them since - so i no longer buy from them.

15. TestDummy

The PST kit bolted in fine. The cap on one of the arms turns with the travel of the arm. If I tighten it down, the arm doesn't travel. When I get it home I'm going to remove it, send it in and get a new one (whole arm).
    I don't plan to travel to SoCal any time soon, so I'm good with it too.