Ranchero USA  

Go Back   Ranchero USA > Off-Topic > General Automotive Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Automotive Questions Questions about that 2nd Car or Truck of yours!

Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Fomoco8

ANyone here running a HOlley Electric fuel pump? I am on the third one in months leaking out the upper body weep hole, The first one was a blue about 4 years old, replaced the gasket, still leaked, replaced the housing ,less leak but out the weep hole, Got a new summitt pump and it lasted about 7 weeks and its leaking out the weep hole too. Any ideas? ethanol in the new gas screwing with the seals? I am going to replace it with a Mallory or Aeroquip with a new regulator but am trying to get a handle on what he heck is happening to the darn things, any input appreciated,

[ February 22, 2007, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Fomoco8 ]

My 78 GT "The Beast"
Fomoco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
GregoryM

I've only heard negative comments about Holley pumps in the various forums (electric and mechanical). Are you using a regulator? If so, is it a by-passing type with a return line to the tank? A by-passing regulator seems to help maintain consistant pressure and relieves the pump from "dead heading" under low demand conditions. I have a new Holley electric pump, but I will probably peddle it on e-pay. I don't have much confidence in it. I think the Mallory pumps are better quality. JMO
Old 02-23-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Fomoco8

Regulator in front set at 6 PSI, No return to tank, THis pump had no issues except for the famous Holley noise for years, the last 3 bodies have had this same leak, right at the weep hole in the casting, not the bottom gasket, \I'm thinking Mallory 140 with regulator myself, I hear good about them all the time and hell it's time for a change

[ February 23, 2007, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Fomoco8 ]

My 78 GT "The Beast"
Old 02-23-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
pdw72

I put one on my bronco about 1-1/2 years ago, haven't developed a leak but it did quit working on me last week. Only clicks once when powered, I haven't looked at it much yet.

My question is how are you guys powering it, now I have it routed through an oil pressure switch?

http://photobucket.com/my72in_process

HOLY CARP
pdw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
Fomoco8

I power mine from a left over hot lead from removing the Duraspark and installing the MSD I have now, I use an oil pressure safety switch from Holley. Any keyed ignition wire will work, tap in under the dash or at the fuse block or the firewall connector,also I have it fused in the run that powers the pump in case of an overload, You may have to install a relay to ensure full power at all times , I hear that can help,

[ February 23, 2007, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Fomoco8 ]

My 78 GT "The Beast"
Old 02-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
pdw72

Thanks Spence, that's generally how I wired it less the relay. I used the wiring under the hood that used to control the fuel injection. Generally everything seems to be ok except I now have no oil pressure reading because of the switch I used was supposedly for a chevy and works opposite of the ford light, if I have a reading, then I have a problem. Another question pertaining to this swap, how do I get 6v power for my choke coil? Currently it is wired at 12v but opens far too quickly. It is a factory holley on an 85 5.8HO motor.

[ February 23, 2007, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: pdw72 ]

http://photobucket.com/my72in_process

HOLY CARP
pdw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Fomoco8

Where have got the tap for the choke now? I think the alternator harness has a dropped voltage on it, If not then you can wire in a resistor to drop the voltage at the coil. You'll need to know the current value being drawn and then apply Ohms law to that I= current x R= Resistance = E= Voltage. So the current times the reistance will equal the voltage , the idea is get 6 volts across the resistor when measured with a DVM, First try and get the voltage measurement across the choke terminals as they are now, then adjust it from there,

My 78 GT "The Beast"
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
rohojo1

Just a thought, if you are having consistent problems with a product, the manufacturer needs to know so they can correct the deficiency. They each have a website and like to get feedback on their products, good, bad or indifferent. Give 'em an e-mail or phone call to let them know what you think about their products.
VR
Bob J.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Fomoco8

Initially I contacted Holley and got a positive response, I just sent them another email at the Tech dept so I'll have to wait and see what they have to say, Although I won't hold my breath expecting them to admit anything wrong , I've had issues with them before and sometimes you win and others you lose,

My 78 GT "The Beast"
Old 02-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #10
GregoryM

I would definitely second Spence's suggestion to use a relay and a Hobbs pressure switch for safety's sake. Do not run a high amp load through the ignition switch- it's just not up to the task and it is just plain dangerous IMO. Re. the electric choke, don't you just love 'em (sarcasm)? My Holley will get a cable operated choke. Works every time. The good old exhaust heated ones work great too. The thing I dislike the most about the elec. ones is, they don't sense the engine temperature after it is warmed up- hot start. More often than not, it seems to apply at least some choke when none is needed. That just ticks me off. Gettin' crabby in my old age I guess.