Tried on some rims, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by 71 Whitesale, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Not too hard to be period correct when it was built in that peroid.....:rolleyes:

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You'd think that, but haven't you seen some of the wheel/tire/Ranchero combos on this site? Makes one wonder how many blind people own Ranchero's?

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

To be fair, some may have had to take the wheels when they bought the car and cannot afford to change them. Yet.

4. 66 Mopar

66 Mopar In Fourth Gear

I am in the same boat as those that prefer some what older style wheels with an old car. It is your car. So build it so you are happy with it. The wheel choice is not for me, but,,,,,,, in all fairness. They don't look to bad. I think they look better than if you put a chrome reverse on it. Just my 02

5. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

well stated 66 mopar. beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

6. steeread

steeread Guest

If you like that look, try on some 60's vintage Shelby 10-spokes.

7. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

I already KNEW that when I bought my ranchero I wouldn't be able to afford to replace them, so I bought the ranchero with the wheels and rims I liked:D

8. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

Check these out....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That look is super clean....
    (forgive the Mustang)
    gotta have it!

9. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Love them! Such a great classic look but updated to modern size rim & tire sizes!! No prob w/the STANG, I am a Mustang freak, at one time we had 5 of them, still have 2 garage queens & my wife's driver 02

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you want wagon wheels put spacers under the springs.
    The 72 has no more clearance as it is the same except for the front horns.

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I was at Harris Ford in Lynnwoood, WA, for parts for a customer's car, and they have 20X9 or so Shelby wheels left over from a promotion a few years ago...hmmmmmmmm....

12. 66 Mopar

66 Mopar In Fourth Gear

ok, I have to ask. How many here that like the rubber band wheels are actually over 40? just a question. I personally am not a fan of them. Especially on older cars. My partner who is 58 likes them. Has a set of 18s on his 56 chevy. It seems most of us older dudes grew up in these cars. Probably why we favor matching cars and wheels from the same time period

13. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

I'm 51, has 20"s 9" in front 245/35x20 and 10"s in the rear 275/35x20
    also has 315/20x20 tires that will go on it in the rear soon, and will try the 275's in the front.
    I love the look, they are black with polished edge:cool:
    Wheels are newer ones that was on a Mustang so I have 1,5" spacers all around:)
    Would love if the wheels where the 1.5" deeper instead, but looks nearly imposible to find and there is a limit for the Rancherobucks also.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  14. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

I'm sort of in the middle of this debate. When the wheels/tires combo gets to the point it looks like a covered wagon from the old west...Im not a fan. On the other hand since my car isnt a low miles cream puff i could never go back to the original 14 inch wheels/tires...the grip and handling i get with the 17s with 45 profile tires is just too good. oh yeah..47 here.

15. 66 Mopar

66 Mopar In Fourth Gear

20s do = rubber bands :D On my ranchero I would think 20s would equal no rubber left to put on the wheels because of clearance. I am looking at 17s for the fury. But with a 28" tire so I will have the same amount of rubber between the wheel and road that I have now. I think there becomes a point with them where you look like you are trying to imitate a honda with them. But remember. I am an old school dude. I Have seen very few of the newer wheels that do not look like every other one on the road.
    Giska, do you have a big body ranchero? 68 or up? Or they look bigger than the older ones to me. :D I could see taller rims used on those easier than the little body rancheros

16. steeread

steeread Guest

Problem in the Midwest with big aluminum rims and rubber bands is pot holes. I have had to replace two rims on my daughters 2006 Milan because of rim damage. She hasn't learned to look ahead and drive around them yet. You need a more resilient tire (higher profile) to accommodate road conditions. Her rims were only 17 inch. BTW I'm 52.

Note that the Milan doesn't weigh nearly as much as an older 'chero.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  17. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Around here, anyone with wheels and tires like that wears their hat on backwards or sideways, Pants near the ground, Gold Grill, Plays in the NBA or just got out of Folsom..Or both. and has Yuban cans for tail pipes.
    Looks like a freakin Stink bug if ya ask me..

18. 77GTSC

77GTSC In Second Gear

I have 21s one of my Fords,my 28 Model A Roadster.

77gtsc

19. Old N. Intheway

Old N. Intheway In First Gear

20. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

Looks like a battery operated toy I bought for my nephew...