Jackson Power Steering Quality Problems

Discussion in 'Non-Automotive Stuff' started by DonC, Dec 9, 2013.

1. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I bought a power steering conversion kit from Jackson Power Steering a while back to install on my Ford 860 Tractor. The kit did show up quickly at my house and cost 1405.00 shipped so I expected I would be getting some nice quality items in the kit. When I opened up the box and saw the brackets that were sent to me I was appalled someone would even send me such junk. Not only were the brackets poorly made but the main bracket was also not properly built, too wide, to bolt my tractor sheetmetal to. I spoke to Roland Jackson and he implied that he never had a problem with the kit before and that I should stretch my sheetmetal to fit. I informed him I wanted to ship the kit back. At first he was not going to send me back my orginal shipping cost that I paid to him to ship the kit to me, he finally agreed to pay that but would not pay the return shipping cost. Should you happen to know anyone looking to buy such a kit from Jackson Power Steering they should think twice. And yes I did send Roland pictures of his fine work with feedback, his response was that soemone just happened to show up and his shop and he installed the very kit I returned on the guys tractor with no issues. No issues yet but wait till those crappy welds break.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks like his 6 year old daughter did the welding.

3. DonC

I agree, pretty pathetic, if he would have paid for return shipping I would not be so apt to put his poor quality work out there. priced all of the goods in his kit and have already purchased everything, seems I can build the same kit for around 750 dollars and my brackets and such will have better welds.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The sad part is that he probably spent more time grinding the welds than it would have taken to do them right, assuming he knew how.

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you were in high school metal shop, and turned this piece in, you'd get an F-minus. His 'customers' must not have a clue.

6. FrenchFan

FrenchFan In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I would be curious to know what kind of "tool" was used to make the largest central hole in that piece :confused:

7. DonC

My guess was a chisel, pretty bad.

8. DonC

That's all I could think. They must be so happy to get power steering that they ignore how poorly the kit brackets are made. My guess is that the parts where the hydraulic cylinders hook to, those clamp things, that have 1/8" steel plate, won't last that long.

If you know of anyone looking to make such a kit for their tractor let me know, I will be more than happy to supply a parts list to build the kit. Really not much to them.

9. NES

NES In Second Gear

lol you wish. That was an oxy-acetylene cutting torch, I've made those kinds of marks cutting a frame up to send it to metal salvage, and yeah it's pretty horrible.

10. Jim.UT

Jim.UT In Second Gear

You have a Ford 860 tractor? Cool! I had a couple of 850's until I had to sell my land and move back to the city. The 800 series Fords are so much better than an 8N and at about the same price. I did not have power steering on my tractors and wished I did a couple of times, but mostly I just got by without. But then I didn't have a front end loader on either of my tractors.

DonC likes this.
  11. Roland Jackson

Roland Jackson In First Gear

My name is Roland Jackson, the owner of Jackson Power Steering. I would like to respond to Don's post that he made back on December 9, 2013.

The pictures that Don posted are actual pictures of the steering unit brackets that were sent to him from Jackson Power Steering. Needless to say, I am embarrassed as I have always prided myself on producing quality steering kits for older farm tractors.

During that time, I found out that I had a fast growing cancer and had to have emergency surgery....and would be unable to work for an extended period of time. In the sixteen years that I have been building power steering kits, I have always been a "one man" operation, And, at the time that I received the news of the cancer...I was absolutely overwhelmed with steering orders. So, I made the decision to hire a young man to build and ship steering kits for me while I was going through the cancer treatments. I quickly trained him and did my best to make sure that he was able to build quality steering units before I left for my surgery.

Sadly, during this time is when Don received his steering kit. And as you can see, it was not a quality built unit. Had I been able to be there, I can assure you that this unit would not have been shipped to Don.

I was still in the hospital when Don called my cell phone to report the poor quality of the steering kit. I explained the situation to him and that I would gladly replace the steering kit...or he could send it back to me and I would refund his money. He was angry....and sadly, unsympathetic to my health issue. He told me that he would take the steering unit if I would refund half the cost of the steering kit to him. Obviously, I couldn't afford to do that. So I ask him to send the unit back to me and I would refund his money. He basically told me that he would be posting the negative experience he had with me. And a week or so later, he emailed me, to give me the URL of his negative post.

I did try to respond at that time, on this site, but was unable to do so. But, I had so many of my past customers rally around me...sending their support my way...I felt that the negative post might have been more helpful then hurtful. And while I did have people inquiring about the post when they called, it did give me a chance to explain what happened.

In life, for every bad thing that happens to us, there is always good that comes from the bad. I honestly believe that. And while Don was trying to get even with me by destroying my reputation and business, the exact opposite happened. I continued to be overwhelmed with orders. I received many calls of support and I actually think his negative post was benefit to Jackson Power Steering in that it allowed me to explain just how much quality means to me and how I have always listened to customer feedback to make my steering products better.

But, almost two years later, Don's negative post is still there...and if you Google "Jackson Power Steering" it continues to be the next one down...right there for everyone to see. It has been several years now, so I decided to try once again to post a reply, telling my side of the story.

One thing positive, which is the MOST IMPORTANT....I am now Cancer free! And while I have to have check ups every six months, so far, they have been normal. As one who loves the Lord with all my heart, I am so thankful to Him for giving my health back to me!

Thanks so much for understanding. And if you would like to see the many, many positive comments regarding customer experiences with Jackson Power Steering, please go to my website, www.jacksonpowersteering.com or call me at 620-357-6546. Roland Jackson

12. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Glad you are doing better and have addressed the QC issues with your products.