Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Stephen, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Stephen

Stephen In First Gear

My ol' girl, The Big White Pearl (my '79 Ranchero), is leaking fuel from the fuel pump. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but still quite a novice when it comes to working on cars. Anyway, I'm gonna give it a whirl and try replacing it myself. (Wish me luck!) It looks like a fairly straightforward process.

My biggest question...what is the big difference between the $15 fuel pump at O'Reilly and the $150 Holley fuel pump? There's not a whole lot in between. Just how much of a fuel pump do I really need?

Any hints, tips, or tricks would be helpful!

2. Robbtroy

Robbtroy In Second Gear

O'Reillys pump will get you safely down the road until you figure out what kind of goodies you would like to 'splurge' on..
    Although Holley offers a good product, the only real benefit to a relatively stock engine might be the aerodynamic improvement from the sticker and the weight reduction from extra cash you'll be offloading from your pockets...;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Werd. And any aftermarket part, anyway, is supposed to perform and fit to the original OE standard by Federal law. So just save your money, save your moolah and save your sanity. Buy the $15 one. It has a good warranty on it.

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Bring your old pump with you to make sure replacement is correct.Get 1- 2 ft. 3/8 fuel line hose and clamps to replace at pump and fuel tank.
    Make sure there is no pressure in tank(loosen fuel cap)when breaking lines.Have drip pan handy.

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Also consider adding an in-line filter on the inlet side of the pump. You will protect the innards of the new pump from whatever might be lurking in your tank and lines.

6. handy_andy_cv64

A Fram G3 is the filter you'd want before the pump. You'll also want a new filter at the carb for pressure regulation.

7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Looks like that one would hold a whole bunch of bits and barnnicles.

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Know where all the exits are, And don't forget all Smoking materials must be Extinguished.....

9. handy_andy_cv64

"The smoking lamp is out throughout the ship while transferring fuel."

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

How you gonna find the leaks without a flame? :D

11. handy_andy_cv64

Ooh, that's cheeky!

12. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Let me give you my experience with the $150 Holley/Mallory Fuel Pump (made by the same people in china. they buy it and put their name on it) Installed one of these on a 460 engine and I don't race it's a cruiser. While coming home one night right after installing the car acted as if it ran out of gas. After getting the car home it was learned that the fancy Mallory pump I had bought coughed up a check valve. After pulling the pump apart the hole in where the valve was pressed in was too large and the valve would just pop out. The pump was exchanged for another (Mallory) pump. Installed it and about two weeks later the same thing happened. After a third try and fail I agreed to look at the Holley and after inspecting it at the store it was the same construction as the Mallory. The counter guy was OK with me taking it apart in front of him to verify how it was put together. Guess what? The check valve fell out at the store! I bought a $15 pump at that moment and it has been working in this car without fail for the last 15 years ( approx 30K). And until the car gets converted to fuel injection that will be the one that stays! No more fancy over priced poor quality pumps for me.

13. handy_andy_cv64

I do have a new pump, but they're so inexpensive, you'd do better to buy at the local parts house and save several dollars on shipping.