Black box

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by parts4me, Nov 25, 2018.

1. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

so on my 78 there is a black box in my passenger side fender be hind the batter that has one hose that goes down to another black box that’s attached to the frame on the passenger side. That black box looks like it distributes vacuum. The line from the upper to lower box is basically gone. The line is a ribbed foil on the outside and almost a rubbed cardboard on the inside. My questions are; what is this system?, can I plug the broken line off and be good? Or what is this type of line and where to buy?

Thanks in advanced.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's the fuel tank charcoal canister, and no, you should not plug it off, because expansion could end up splitting your gas tank. The second one is the carb fuel bowl charcoal canister. Because all the lines from the engine to that lower canister were destroyed by the leaking oil, and the canister is contaminated, I elected to eliminate it, but I hooked the upper canister to the steel line that goes to the fuel tank directly. The foil/cardboard line is supposed to attach to your air cleaner at the passenger side of it.

3. parts4me

Are you saying when you eliminated it you connected that foil line to the air cleaner? Mine goes from the upper black box to the top of the lower one.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Whatever you do, don't drive over 85 mph with those hoses disconnected!!!!! Of course, in one of those LTD boats, that's probably not likely.
    Kidding, of course.

MaxInValrico likes this.
  5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Yeah, if you hit 88MPH it will turn into a DeLorean and launch you into the future.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Not bloody likely.

Hmmm. Perhaps I was missing something, as mine didn't have a hose from canister to canister. I'll snap and post some pics of what is left on Babe, plus share the pics I took of the removed hoses/valve a bit later.

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A DeLorean would be an improvement, in the looks department.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

I'd rather not. A French engine that surrenders on the first rev, doors that could clobber you if a strut suddenly failed, stainless steel that you maintain with a Brillo pad, sorry, not much to like.

9. parts4me

Awesome thank you!

ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.